Last updated on July 22nd, 2019
Let’s evaluate our battery energy storage system definition as well as some other use case examples.
What is Battery Energy Storage System?
Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) is a system that stores energy using a battery technology, to be used at a later time. The energy storage system is used to ensure that there is a steady flow of power even when the main grid is down. The term BESS is a generic term which is formed by a wide range of different battery technologies.
Definition of Battery Energy Storage System and Examples
Battery energy storage system definition is an important part of the electrification movement. There are two different categories of Battery Energy storage systems which includes:
- On-Grid Solutions
In this system, the battery energy storage system is aimed at facilitating the transition to new avenues of generation and distribution of electricity in the main grid. It is done by including battery energy storage in the operators’ business model, installing large storage capacity and also putting the legal framework that supports the development.
It will provide solutions to the fundamental problems experienced in the grid distribution model.
- Off-Grid Solutions
Off-grid solutions aim at using the Battery energy storage system in areas or countries with extremely intense solar radiation also referred to as “sun-belt” countries. It aims at providing basic levels of electrification in remote areas and enhancing efficiency in fossil fuels.
Types of Batteries Used in BESS
The main types of batteries used in this system include:
- Valve regulated lead acid batteries (VRLBs) – They are the traditional batteries and are used in Uninterruptible Power Supplies
- Lithium-Ion batteries – This kind of battery uses vanadium ions to store energy, and it’s commonly found in devices like smartphones and home appliances.
- Sodium Nickel batteries – These type of batteries use molten salt as the electrolyte to store energy.
- Liquid metal batteries – In these batteries, liquid metal is used both as the electrodes and the electrolyte
See Related: Best Batteries for Solar Panels
Benefits of Battery Energy Storage System
There are a number of different benefits to Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS), here are a few of the most important benefits to consider:
- With the increased use of renewable energy, battery energy storage solutions provide a balance from the fluctuations caused by this new power injection.
- It provides stability in the power grid and increases power quality.
- It provides reliable photovoltaic power supply.
What do you think of our battery energy storage definition? Please let us know if you found our definition helpful.
Green Coast is a renewable energy blog community that will help you learn about renewables, energy efficiency and green living.