Last updated on July 22nd, 2019
Let’s evaluate our solar plus storage definition as well as some other use case examples.
What is Solar Plus Storage?
Solar plus storage is a solar system that allows the user to detach the system from the main grid usually through an islanding switch and has a storage battery to store the excess power produced. It ensures that the user can still have power even when the larger grid is off, and when the grid power comes back, the system reconnects to the grid.
Adding a solar storage battery to the system ensures that the user can continue having a reliable source of power when the main grid goes down. The main grid acts as a storage for the generated solar energy when the grid is running.
Solar plus storage systems act as an ideal backup power source for many facilities, particularly those in urban and busy residential where there is limited space.
Definition of Solar Plus Storage and Examples
Solar plus storage system is very different from the original grid-tied solar system. It differs from the grid-tied system in two different ways.
- It has a storage battery which acts as backup storage for the unused solar energy produced which can be used later when the grid goes off
- Unlike the grid-tied system, solar plus energy system has the isolating equipment or a switch which detaches it from the main grid. It releases the energy when the larger grid goes down, therefore, ensuring a continuous and reliable power supply for the user.
The traditional photovoltaic system usually relies on the main grid for power storage and energy regulation and therefore whenever the grid goes down, the solar energy system goes down. For a solar plus storage to work, it has to include the solar storage battery. It is the device reserves excess energy for later consumption and is charged the connected solar system.
Examples of the solar storage battery include the Lithium-ion battery which is the most commonly used one in homes and the Lead-acid battery which is relatively cheap but with less capacity.
See Related: Best Batteries for Solar Systems
Benefits of Solar Plus Storage Battery
These are the benefits of solar plus storage energy systems. Solar plus storage will be a very important component to our energy resources going forward.
- Ensures that the user gets a reliable and uninterrupted energy supply even when the main grid is unavailable.
- The storage of excess generated solar energy can reduce the cost of electricity since it can be used later.
- It is ideal for facilities like hospitals, schools and industries that require an uninterrupted power source.
What do you think of our solar plus storage definition? Please let us know if you found our definition helpful.
Green Coast is a renewable energy blog community that will help you learn about renewables, energy efficiency and green living.
Related Resources on Solar
- Solar Renewable Energy Certificates
- Solar Racking
- Distributed Antenna System (DAS)
- Demand Response