Keeping the temperature inside a greenhouse regulated can be a challenge, especially in the summer months or in a hotter climate.
One of the best ways to keep your greenhouse at a constant, optimum temperature in the summer is by using the best solar powered greenhouse fans on the market. Using solar energy means no cabling, no writing, and no additional padding of your electricity bill.
In this article, we will discuss some of the best fans you can buy and how they can help you keep your plants healthy and thriving with just the power of the sun.
While all of the fans we reviewed were excellent, we’ve chosen the ECO-WORTHY Solar Vent Fan as our best-in-show because of its excellent airflow and durability. This fan can be placed in any window or door to help circulate air and keep a greenhouse of up to 1500 cubic feet at a comfortable temperature, even on the hottest days.
- Easy-to-install design
- Large airflow of more than 1200 CFM
- Solid, durable motor
- No battery backup
The best solar powered greenhouse fans
To help you pick the right solar-powered fan for your greenhouse, we’ve reviewed some of the top fans on the market and broken down their pros and cons.
1. Top pick: ECO-WORTHY Solar Vent Fan
The 14-inch ECO-WORTHY solar vent fan stands out as our top pick of the best solar powered greenhouse fans because of its fantastic airflow and durability. Able to cool any interior space of up to 1500 cubic feet, this fan provides a large airflow of more than 1200 CFM and its internal motor has a working life of more than 10,000 hours.
The fan is also very easy to install and comes with all the necessary hardware, allowing you to get it up and running in minutes. The plug and play connection means you don’t have to wire anything together, just install the fan, place the solar panel, plug in the supplied cable and you’re good to go!
What we like:
- Easy to install – The fan comes with all the required parts and is simple and easy to install.
- Large airflow – With an airflow of more than 1200 CFM, this fan is surprisingly powerful.
- Durable motor – With a working life of 10,000 hours, this fan has a solid and durable motor, which is good because that’s the part most likely to fail due to wear and tear.
What we don’t like:
- No battery – Because there is no battery backup, the speed at which the fan rotates is based on the available sunlight. This means on overcast days, you might not be getting the full benefit of the fan.
Overall, the ECO-WORTHY solar vent fan is a great choice for anyone looking for an easy-to-install, solar-powered greenhouse fan. With its large airflow and simple, easy-to-install design, it’s a great addition to any greenhouse.
2. Amtrak 50-Watt Solar Fan
Slightly smaller than the ECO-WORTHY at ten inches, the Amtrak makes up for its smaller size through its increased power. The 50-Watt fan covers areas up to 2250 square feet and power is provided by a sealed ball bearing and thermally protected fan motor connected to a high-quality crystalline solar panel.
The galvanized steel fan comes with the required connection brackets and connects to the solar panel with plug-and-play quick-connect wires. All the parts are also covered by a lengthy 25-year warranty.
The only real downside is the circular shape of the fan, which can make it hard to install if you want to create a sealed environment.
What we like:
- High power – The 50-watt fan provides a lot of coverage
- Huge warranty – A 25-year warranty is an excellent indication of a company’s faith in its product.
- Plug-and-play – All you have to do is plug the wires into the back of the solar panel and you’re good to go.
What we don’t like:
- The shape – Because this fan casing is circular, it could be hard to install, especially if you want to create a sealed environment with no gaps.
The Amtrak 50-Watt Solar Fan is a solid, well-made product that is perfect for larger greenhouses. Simply connect the wires and you’re good to go!
3. CoolerGuys 10W Solar Powered Dual Fan Kit
At the more diminutive end of the market, this 10-watt model from CoolerGuys is still a powerful little unit that will pull hot air out of your greenhouse with ease. Installation is straightforward, and the fans are whisper-quiet, producing only 34db.
The downside of the smaller motor is that this fan will only cool an enclosure of up to 414 cubic feet, but on the plus side, it is IP67 waterproof, which means it can be exposed to dust and rain without any problems at all.
What we like:
- Whisper quiet – If you hate fan noise, then this model only produces around 34db of sound, which is very quiet indeed.
- Compact – The twin fan system and its two small solar panels are very compact, making it ideal for smaller greenhouses.
- Waterproof – This is the only fan on the list to be IP67 waterproof, which means it is fully sealed to dust and water.
What we didn’t like:
- The coverage – 414 cubic feet really isn’t that much space, so it’s important you measure your greenhouse before investing in this fan to avoid disappointment.
Compact and whisper-quiet, the CoolerGuys 10W solar-powered greenhouse fan is perfect for those who are looking for a small and unobtrusive option.
4. Amtrak 70-Watt Solar Fan
Another entry from Amtrak solar, this is the most powerful fan on the list. It’s also one of the more expensive options, but it’s a great choice if you have a larger greenhouse.
Essentially an up-gunned version of the 50-Watt Solar Fan, the 70-Watt comes with all the same benefits, including the plug-and-play quick-connect wiring and the solid 25-year guarantee.
The downside is, of course, the noise. The larger and more powerful the fan, the noisier it is. But, if you’re looking for a larger fan to cover a large greenhouse, this is the most powerful solar-powered greenhouse fan on the list.
What we like:
- Super powerful – At 70-Watts, this is the ideal fan for a larger greenhouse.
- Huge warranty – As with the 50-Watt version, a 25-year guarantee is amazing!
- Quick-connect wiring – As with its smaller sibling, all you need to do is plug the wires into the solar panel and you’re good to go.
What we don’t like:
- The noise – A larger fan like this is going to kick out a fair amount of noise.
A larger and more powerful version of the 50-Watt Amtrak Solar Greenhouse Fan, this 70-Watt fan is perfect for a larger greenhouse. It’s well-made and comes with a wiring harness and solar panel so you can get started using it right away.
5. Seddex 5W Desktop Solar Fan
If you’d prefer not to have to install anything in your greenhouse, then the freestanding Seddex 5W Solar Fan has you covered.
This diminutive solar-powered fan is an excellent choice for indoor greenhouses or smaller outdoor greenhouses that don’t need a lot of ventilation. That being said, the fan is only 5-Watts and has a four-inch fan blade, so temper your expectations of its performance accordingly.
What we like:
- Freestanding – You don’t need to worry about installation with this fan.
- Small – If you’re strapped for space, but still need ventilation, then this is the fan for you.
- Portable – If you’d rather have a multi-purpose fan that can be moved around or used for multiple purposes, this light and compact model is a good choice.
What we don’t like:
- The coverage – With just 5-Watts of power and a four-inch fan, this model has minimal coverage, making it suitable for only the smallest growing areas.
If you only need light ventilation for a small space, then this mini solar-powered fan from Seddex is a good option. It’s also one of the most affordable models on our list, coming in at less than $50.
Why should you buy a solar-powered greenhouse fan?
When it comes to buying a solar-powered greenhouse fan, there are a number of benefits to going the renewable energy route including:
No wiring required
If you’d rather not be trailing electrical cables across the garden, then a solar-powered fan is a good option as no wiring is required.
Reduced running costs
Solar energy is free once you’ve invested in the initial setup costs, so you’ll be able to get the ventilation you need without padding your energy bills.
Solar power is renewable and emits zero carbon, making it a more eco-friendly option than traditional greenhouse fans.
Greater air circulation
Air circulation in a greenhouse is important for preventing stagnant air and promoting healthy plant growth. Solar-powered fans can help to circulate the air, which makes sure the plants are getting the ventilation they need and the right amount of CO2.
Greenhouses can often be humid places, which can lead to fungal infestations on your plans, or even just damage the structure of your greenhouse, especially if it’s timber-framed. Solar-powered fans can help to ventilate the space and reduce humidity levels, which will help to keep your plants healthy.
Additonal pest control
As well as helping to circulate the air, solar-powered fans can also help to deter pests. By circulating the air, you make it harder for pests to hide and breed in your greenhouse, and by reducing humidity levels, you make it a less hospitable environment for them.
The drawbacks of a solar greenhouse fan
While there are multiple benefits to using a solar-powered greenhouse fan, there are also a few potential drawbacks to consider:
- Solar fans can be less powerful than mains-powered options, so may not be suitable for larger greenhouses. You can overcome this by using a larger fan, like the Amtrak 70-Watt Solar Fan, or multiple smaller fans. Since they aren’t using your grid electricity, adding more fans doesn’t add to your electricity bills.
- Solar fans can be less reliable, as they rely on having enough sunlight to work properly. If you live in an area with lots of cloudy days, a solar greenhouse fan may not be the best option for you. However, you can use a solar power battery to offset this. Solar-powered batteries store the excess energy your solar panel generates on very sunny days and can use it to supplement the power provided by the panel on overcast days or at night.
- Solar fans can also be more expensive than traditional greenhouse fans, so it’s important to compare prices before making a purchase. This initial higher purchase cost is offset, however, by the fact that they have no running costs.
If you’re looking for an eco-friendly and cost-effective way to ventilate your greenhouse, a solar-powered fan could be the perfect solution, but you need to be realistic about the potential drawbacks.
A few things to consider before you buy a solar-powered fan for your greenhouse
When it comes to buying a fan for your greenhouse, there are a few things you need to take into consideration.
Size of the fan
Make sure to choose a fan that’s powerful enough to ventilate your greenhouse adequately. You don’t want it struggling to move air around, especially in summer when temperatures can reach high levels.
Number of vents
Another thing to consider is how many vents you’ll need to keep your greenhouse at a comfortable temperature. If you have a lot of windows, you might need more than one fan to provide adequate ventilation.
The price of the greenhouse fan
Solar-powered fans can be a bit more expensive than traditional ones, but they’ll save you money in the long run since they don’t require any electricity to operate.
The number of fans needed for your greenhouse
You might need more than one fan to get the job done, depending on the size of your greenhouse. This is particularly true if you opt for the smaller, less powerful free-standing models.
Positioning of the greenhouse fans
Where you place your fan is important too. Make sure it’s positioned in a way that allows it to draw in fresh air from outside and push hot air out through vents or windows.
Solar-powered fans are an excellent way to ventilate your greenhouse without harming the environment. Not to mention, they’re incredibly cost-effective in the long run!
Solid, durable models like the ECO-WORTHY Solar Vent Fan are definitely worth the investment, as they provide you with no-cost eco-friendly ventilation with no need for any complicated wiring.
So, there you have it! These are just a few things to keep in mind when shopping for the best solar powered greenhouse fans for your garden. With a little bit of research, you’re sure to find the perfect model for your needs. Happy gardening!