Want to go green with your cleaning supplies? Here are a few tips to clean in a more environmentally friendly manner. [Read more…] about How To Greenify Your Cleaning Routine
Various measures have been put in place to combat climate change and preserve our planet. Also, numerous agreements have been drafted and endorsed to avert this global warming phenomenon. Today we look at Kyoto Protocol vs Paris Agreement, as well as their role in controlling climate change. [Read more…] about Kyoto Protocol vs Paris Agreement: Key Differences to Know
Want to gift someone with something unique? Whether you’re looking to surprise her or him with a sustainable gift, here are some items that you can consider:
9 Best Sustainable Gifts to Buy for Eco-Friendly People
When looking for the perfect gift for a loved one or a colleague, numerous eco-friendly items can pass this test. From organic clothes made from ethically obtained wool or cotton to vegan leather bags, the list is endless.
So, which one of these best suits your occasion?
If you want to reduce the amount of plastic being disposed of each passing day, this toothbrush can be one ideal way to do so. They are made from a bamboo tree, and they are readily recyclable.
Being recyclable means that they are eco-friendly, while their soft bristles (which are charcoal activated), means that they are kind on the teeth. Also, when you purchase one, it comes with charcoal powder that has a mint taste to help whiten your teeth gently.
So, if you don’t want to add more plastic to that bathroom, this is an excellent gift that is ideal for those looking for pearly white teeth. The main features of this bamboo toothbrush include:
- Mint flavored taste: helps to detoxify and considerably whiten teeth while also giving a fresh mint breath.
- Medium-soft bristles: best in removing plaque, while still caring for your gum.
- Smooth charcoal powder: a superfine powder that is less abrasive than most kinds of toothpaste for tooth whitening.
- Efficient, antibacterial bamboo handle: well suited to remove about 25% of plague and its resistance to water and mold.
- Environmentally friendly: recyclable and has a minimum carbon footprint
These eco-friendly, insulated, indestructible, water bottles from Tree Tribe, are quite incredible pieces to gift a person with. And there are plenty of reasons why many people would fall in love with these bottles. First, they are indestructible, and they offer a variety of colors.
Also, they are made of stainless steel, meaning that they don’t rust and are very durable. One more thing that stands out with these water bottles is that ten trees are planted for every purchase made. This is a great initiative to give back to the environment.
They are also cost-friendly, with their price ranging from $25.02 to $31.88. Other notable features include:
- Safe for human use and environment: they don’t leak any chemicals to the environment, unlike some plastics.
- Lifetime Warranty: if the customer feels not satisfied with the quality of the bottle, the company offers a 100% refund. They also replace a damaged one with a brand new bottle.
- High-tech design: the bottle is ideal for any liquid. Whether you want it cold or hot, Tree Tribe bottles have got your back.
What better way to gift someone than with a bottle that allows them to keep liquids in any temperature, and that is indestructible?
See Related: Are Plastic Straws Recyclable?
These are lead-free pencils that contain some seeds at their bottom instead of an eraser. For those who love drawing, you can help them channel all their coloring desires by gifting them these coloring pencils. And, after the pencil is used up, they can do more good to nature by planting the seed at the bottom.
The good thing is, the packet contains the directions for planting and helping these seeds to thrive. Other features of these color Sprout pencils include:
- Sustainable and ecofriendly: the Sprout coloring pencils, as well as the graphite ones, are all lead-free and ecofriendly. They are biodegradable, non-toxic, and made from sustainable materials.
- It’s the perfect gift: presently in eight different shades and nine types of seeds. They are ideal for any age.
- What the box contains: The Sprout pencil pack contains eight eco-friendly and biodegradable Sprout pencils; six colored ones and two graphite ones. Each pencil has a capsule at the bottom that carries flowers, herbs, or vegetable seeds.
This is one of the best environmentally sustainable gifts that will suit anyone irrespective of age or gender.
This is an incredibly versatile food wrap pack that comprises five wrappers; 1 small, two medium, and two large pieces. The food wrappers are ideal for wrapping baked goods, sandwiches, cheese, fruits, snacks, or vegetables.
And, they are entirely organic, washable, biodegradable, eco-friendly, plastic-free, durable, and sustainable. You can use them for up to a year if not misused.
Materials used to manufacture these beeswax food wraps include:
- Superior organic cotton that is GOTS’ certified
- Australian imported, Manuka bee wax (organic)
- Golden jojoba oil from Israel (organic)
- Organic tree resin from the Philippines’ natural forest
One more feature that is so distinctive with these wrappers is their amazing natural smell. It comes in a mild blend of fresh, sweet, summery, natural beeswax scent that makes you want to use them over and over.
For yoga lovers, this impeccable mat is the ultimate gift. The mat is designed with the love of the practice and the environment well in mind.
The all-natural rubber and cork used to make the mat are sustainably harvested to ensure that no harm comes to the environment. Also, these materials are biodegradable, compostable, or recyclable.
From a variety of options, you can opt for whichever eco-friendly method that you want to use to dispose of the product. Water-based inks are used to print its gorgeous and symmetrical design, which facilitates a lot when aligning your poses. Main features include:
- Performance and durability to elevate your practice
- High-density, additional comfy cushion
- A non-slip grip that improves with sweat
- The cork and rubber raw materials are obtained from certified farms in Portugal and Vietnam, respectively.
- Quick dry
- Portable, flexible, and Lightweight
- Ideal for anyone: women, men, kids, beginners or advanced levels
- Zero odor: doesn’t contain toxic smells
Get a piece for your loved one and help them practice while still loving the environment.
This is the exclusive choice when it comes to serving cheese. It offers the best way for you to enjoy those Italian Ricotta slices, French Vacherine, or English Cheddar accompanied by a glass of wine. The board is perfect for holidays or functions such as birthdays, anniversaries, and weddings.
- Grooves for holding crackers, olives, or nuts
- Handcrafted from a 100% bamboo for superior quality
- Concealed drawer containing four utensils and a cheese knife
- No stains and doesn’t absorb odor
- Stainless steel knife with a bamboo handle
- Great value for your money
- Tailor-made boards, perfect for the cheese lovers
If by any chance, the cheese board doesn’t meet your standards of satisfaction, you can quickly get a replacement from the company.
This incredibly sustainable cork bracelet brings out your commitment to environmental conservation. The bracelet is a representation of beauty, durability, and strength, which makes the one it’s gifted to wear it with pride.
Those who want to make a positive change in our ecosystem, this is an excellent accessory to add to your wardrobe.
- Exclusive and durable, with water repellent feature which is ideal for those who love adventures
- Made from 100% natural cork that they source through a sustainable and eco-friendly process
- Easy to put on due to its distinctively sturdy interlocking magnetic clasp made of stainless steel
- Doesn’t cause any allergic reactions and are perfect for vegans
- Aromatherapy feature which helps you to stay smelling fresh in an ecofriendly way
Stimulate environmental consciousness to people using this aromatherapy diffuser armlet. It’s packaging also makes it quite an ideal gift idea.
How about going eco-friendly by using zero waste gift products? This kit comes loaded with:
- One set of stainless steel straws
- Single recyclable or reusable storage box
- One biodegradable drink bottle or travel cup
- Three pieces of beeswax food wraps (all sizes)
- Biodegradable bamboo toothbrush
- Bamboo travel case
- One Reusable Grocery String Bag
The 3.9 stars rated starter kit is undoubtedly a representation of the perfect way to gift an eco-conscious friend or colleague. And, with all the wonderful features that come with the items, you will have made the earth proud. The main attractive features of this gift include:
- Zero entirely reusable waste products
- Plastic-free reusable products: you don’t have to worry about plastic disposal. The items contain zero plastic, and you can reuse them over and over.
- Made from sustainable materials that are ethically sourced to preserve the environment
- The carry case and toothbrush are made from durable, biodegradable bamboo
- Beeswax wraps made from bee wax, organic cotton material, jojoba oil, and tree resin
- Grocery bag made from natural organic cotton
If you want to start your zero-waste journey or want to lead someone towards it, this zero waste starter kit is the perfect product for you. All the components of this kit are either, reusable, biodegradable or recyclable.
This is 4.8 stars rated, crafted valet tray that contains rustic copper rivets, and its ideal for keeping the phone, keys, and wallet organized. Alta Andina’s valet tray is made of vegetable-tanned leather that is polished with beeswax to maintain its allure.
The bags are ethically produced, with the companies transparent supply chain based in the Andes. Other unique and charming features of these bags include:
- Lifelong warranty: this means that you can have some peace of mind as the bag is guaranteed for its entire life. The warranty covers any manufacturer’s defects, and the company accepts returns or exchanges.
- Suitable for home or office use: the leather valet can fit in any setting. Whether you want to place a watch, phone, or expensive jewelry in it, the valet has you covered.
- Dimensions: The valet measures 6L by 5W inches.
- It is made from natural or recycled materials.
If you want to surprise a friend who loves class but still adores nature, this can be a great piece. For more sustainable products, you can check my article on 14 Ethical and Sustainable Furniture Options for Eco-Friendly Living.
See Related: What is Sustainability?
What are Sustainable Gifts?
Taking care of our environment and doing things that have positive impacts on the ecosystem should be a priority for everyone. And, even when it comes to simple things like gifting friends, family, or colleagues, things shouldn’t be any different.
I know that the highest percentage of human beings love gifts.
And, although we might not realize, gifts also come with a lot of waste products including wrappings, containers, and sometimes the gift itself.
For this reason, if you are eco-conscious, and wants to preserve the environment, try to extend eco-friendly gifts.
I know that many might wonder if this is even possible, but, today we are going to explore more on the best gifts you can give and still preserve the environment.
Sustainable gifts are presents made from sustainable materials. This means that they are products that offer environmental, economic, and social benefits while still protecting the environment and public health.
These environmentally sustainable gifts should, therefore, be beneficial to the ecosystem, right from the point of raw material extraction all the way to their final disposal point.
Those who understand the importance of sustainable living, know too well how gifts, especially during holidays and special days, can damage the environment.
Conclusion on Sustainable Gifts
Nature is all we have and must take good care of it if we also want to live abundant lives. And, since gifting is also something that we can’t do without, why not then do it in an eco-friendly way?
With more people becoming more eco-conscious, there is hope for a better world tomorrow.
And with the above types of sustainable gifts, we can continue creating awareness for every person to do their part in preserving our environment.
- Best Zero Waste Shampoo and Conditioners
- Top 13 Sustainability Influencers on Instagram
- Sustainability Definition
Green Coast is a renewable energy and green living community focused on helping others live a better, more sustainable life.
We believe that energy and green living has become far too complicated, so we created several different guides to build a sustainable foundation for our future.
Zero waste shampoo can be a great way to reduce your carbon footprint while improving your personal health and hygiene.
In today’s post, we will make you familiar with zero-waste shampoos & conditioners, their benefits, and brands producing such nature-friendly products.
Here’s how to switch to zero waste shampoo and conditioner.
The 6 Best Zero Waste Shampoos & Conditioners for 2020
Bossman bar soap is among the top zero waste shampoo options for men. It is a 4-in-one bar soap that you can use as body wash, hair shampoo, beard shampoo, and shaving lubricant. It is made using organic ingredients that include safflower oil, shea butter, palm oil, plantain leaf powder, and organic cocoa powder.
Moreover, it is free from all types of preservatives, chemicals.
With a blend of essential oils, the soap is made to rejuvenate your skin, hair, and beard. Your skin will feel more moisturized after using it.
- 4-in-one zero waste hair and beard shampoo
- Made using all-natural ingredients
- Cruelty-free, not tested on any animals
- Made to preserve your skin’s natural oil
Fresh Citrus Conditioner bar by Clever Yoga is made for all hair types. If you want your hair to be thicker, frizz-free without causing any harm to mother nature, invest in this zero waste conditioner bar. Lightweight and small in size, the conditioner bar is ideal for travel.
Like traditional conditioner, the Fresh Citrus bar is not packaged in a plastic bottle that means zero plastic waste. This conditioner bar is handmade in the USA and is chemical and cruelty-free. It makes hair soft, shiny, and frizz-free.
The conditioner bar is made of 100% natural ingredients that include extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter, and jojoba oil. As the bar is concentrated, you will need only a tiny amount for every wash. A single bar can last up to 1 month
- Reduces plastic use and waste
- Small but strong
- Ideal for all hair types
- Great for everyday use
- Free from chemicals and preservatives
Tangie shampoo bar is a 100% eco-friendly shampoo that contains blends of natural oils and moisturizers. This zero-waste organic shampoo by Waste Free Products comes in compostable packing, making it both travel and environmentally friendly.
Moreover, in comparison to regular shampoo, it can last up to three times longer. If you want to clean your scalp and hair without using any harsh chemicals, go for the Tangie Shampoo bar. After using this shampoo for the first time, your hair will feel different – in a good sense!
- Comes in nature-friendly packaging (Biodegradable Cardboard)
- Free from chemicals such as sodium lauryl sulfate, phosphate, etc
- Lasts up to 70 washes
- No plastic waste
If your regular shampoo is doing more harm than good, it’s time to switch to shampoo made of natural and organic ingredients. Shampoo bar shampoo by the Yellow Bird is one such good option. Made of kaolin clay, sea salt, and essential oils of rosemary, grapefruit, and lavender, this shampoo includes various minerals and vitamins. It is made especially for sensitive skin.
Rich in vitamin E, the shampoo bar makes your hair soft and shiny. Unlike regular shampoo, it doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals, synthetic colors, and fragrance. Both men and women can use this bar as a body, face, and hair soap. It comes in a recyclable box, making it a true zero waste shampoo.
- Eco-friendly shampoo for both men and women
- It includes sea salt and kaolin clay that eliminates unwanted buildup
- Made of natural oils
- Comes in eco-friendly packaging
Available in biodegradable packaging, this Bamboearth shampoo from Bamboearth is 100% organic and eco-friendly. These bars are made of all-natural ingredients such as essential oils and plant-based butter. It does not include any kind of artificial fragrance and color.
This cold-pressed shampoo bar restores your hair to its natural state. You will notice a positive difference in the way your hair feels after washing. Since it includes only natural ingredients, it is safe for people of all ages. The single pack contains 4 different essences: Chamomile, Lavender, Seaweed, Honey. Each pack lasts between 4 to 6 months.
Speaking of Bamboearth, it is a well-known personal care brand that cares for mother nature. They say, “zero waste is our mission.” As a result, all their products are 100% metal and plastic-free. This zero-waste shampoo bar also comes in biodegradable packaging.
- Made of high-quality organic ingredients
- Comes in 100% biodegradable packaging
- Does not contain any chemical or preservative
As the name indicates, All-Natural shampoo by J.R. Liggett is made of natural ingredients. Some of the key ingredients added into this shampoo include coconut oil, sunflower oil, peppermint, jojoba oil, and tea tree oil.
This mild shampoo majorly includes essential oils and herbal blend. As a result, it is rich in vitamins and fatty acids that nourish the scalp. When used regularly, it promotes healthy hair growth and also adds shine to them.
What makes this shampoo from other options is that with this shampoo bar, you won’t need any conditioner.
The good thing is that people with allergies and sensitive skin can also use it. No matter whether your hair is straight, curly, or colored, you will find this product idea.
- All-natural shampoo made without any synthetic oils, chemicals, and detergents
- Ideal for sensitive & allergenic skin
- Provides Long-lasting protection
What is Zero Waste Shampoo & Conditioner
The word “zero waste” is referred to principles that focus on the prevention of waste and encourage the redesign and reuse of products. A zero-waste shampoo or conditioner comes in environmentally-friendly packaging and is made of organic and natural products.
Unlike regular shampoos, a zero-waste shampoo is free from plastic, preservatives, artificial fragrance oils, and synthetic colors that might cause skin dryness in the long run.
Since zero waste shampoos and conditioners contain only natural ingredients such as plant extracts and natural essential oils, and they boost shine and moisture your scalp.
Benefits of Zero Waste Shampoos and Conditioners
Here are a few reasons why you should consider zero waste shampoo and condition.
1. Plastic-Free & Environmentally- Friendly
One of the most significant advantages of zero waste shampoos and conditioners are, they come either package-free or in metal or biodegradable containers.
Plastic and its byproducts are polluting our environment and contributing to numerous health issues. As a result, we must cut down the use of plastic in our day-to-day life.
Although governments and other responsible authorities are making efforts toward reducing plastic footprint, it’s not adequate. We all should look for ways to reduce our plastic waste.
Fortunately, some manufacturers have started making cruelty free, natural, and environmentally-friendly products. If we can’t do anything for nature, at least we can use those products.
So, if you feel bad about using plastic, replace your regular shampoo with these natural and zero waste shampoos.
2. Good for Your Scalp
As mentioned above, zero waste shampoo and conditioner bars are all-natural, vegan, and cruelty-free; they are as good for your hair as for the environment.
It is worth-mentioning that shampoos and conditioners made of plant extracts and natural essential oils are scientifically proven to be good for your skin.
If you travel with shampoo bottles frequently, you might have come across the situation when your shampoo bottle left you with a sticky mess. Well, this not the issue with zero-waste shampoos and conditioners.
Now you know the benefits of zero waste shampoo and conditioner bars, let’s have a quick look at their market size.
See Related: Advantages of Going Green and Sustainable
Zero Waste Shampoo Market Size
In 2018, the global market for zero waste shampoo was worth $101.78 million (USD), And it is projected to expand at a compound annual growth rate of 7.18% between the period from 2019 to 2025.
Due to an increase in demand for eco-friendly products and packaging, we can expect that more manufacturers will jump into the zero waste shampoo market in the coming years.
Already, numerous reputable brands are making biodegradable, vegan, and ocean-friendly shampoos and conditioners.
Below, we have put together a list of some of them.
Top Zero Waste Shampoo & Conditioner Brands
Here are the best zero waste shampoo and conditioner options to consider.
Originally, founded in the year 2012 in Christchurch, New Zealand as Sorbet, Ethique is today one of the most reputable personal care brands in the world producing cruelty-free, organic, vegan, and zero waste personal care waste products.
The founder, Brianne West, who is a biologist, started this brand to eliminate plastic waste.
She began making zero waste conditioner and shampoo bars in her kitchen with a mission to minimize the number of plastic conditioners and shampoo bottles.
According to West, her company has stopped more than 6 million shampoo or plastic bottles ending up in dumps.
So, if you want to give up plastic bottles, you can go for their personal care product that includes zero waste shampoo bars, conditioners, deodorants, body cleansers, etc.
Ethique is also a B-corp certified brand that means you can trust them blindfolded. They also donate 2% of revenue to charity.
2. Aspen Kay Naturals
Based in Clearwater, Florida, United States, Aspen Kay Naturals makes organic and environmentally friendly personal care products. Talking about their hair care products, it includes shampoo and conditioner bars.
Their handmade natural shampoo and conditioner are made using the cold-press method. Therefore, ingredients used in their bars retain their aroma, flavor, and nutritional value for a long time.
All of their soaps are certified made using organic shea butter, extra virgin olive oil, sustainable palm oil, organic sunflower oil
Unlike regular brands, their shampoos and conditioners are naturally colored. They take their colors from herb extracts, natural mineral pigments, and clays.
3. Sea & Clean
Came into existence in late 2015, Sea and Clean is another popular brand that makes zero waste shampoo and conditioners. All their bars are wrapped in recycled paper. Not only are their products nature-friendly but also safe to be used on all skin types.
They use herbs, essential oils, seeds, pure oils, fruit, flowers, and vegetables in all their products. Some of their bars even use a blend of dead sea mud and beer.
In the beginning, the company used to make natural laundry detergent and fabric softener, today they produce a wide range of personal cleaning products.
However, their shampoo and conditioner bars are exceptionally popular in the US market.
Apart from these brands, there are a few more companies that have made their unique identity in the zero waste shampoo and conditioner industry.
For your convenience, below we have accumulated some of the top-selling zero waste shampoo and conditioners.
Conclusion on Zero Waste Shampoo
Want to keep your hair healthy and shiny without any guilt of harming the environment? Consider these zero waste shampoo and conditioner options. Not only they come in nature-friendly packaging, but they are also chemical-free.
All the shampoos and conditioners mentioned in this post are popular and have been used by millions of people across the globe.
What is wetland mitigation? What are its benefits and downsides? Let’s go through this in-depth guide to find the best answers to these questions. [Read more…] about Wetland Mitigation Overview: 9 Pros and Cons to Consider