Various measures have been put in place to combat climate change and preserve our planet. Also, numerous agreements have been drafted and endorsed to avert this global warming phenomenon. Today we look at Kyoto Protocol vs Paris Agreement, as well as their role in controlling climate change. [Read more…] about Kyoto Protocol vs Paris Agreement: Key Differences to Know
Want to gift someone with something unique? Whether you’re looking to surprise her or him with a sustainable gift, here are some items that you can consider:
9 Best Sustainable Gifts to Buy for Eco-Friendly People
When looking for the perfect gift for a loved one or a colleague, numerous eco-friendly items can pass this test. From organic clothes made from ethically obtained wool or cotton to vegan leather bags, the list is endless.
So, which one of these best suits your occasion?
If you want to reduce the amount of plastic being disposed of each passing day, this toothbrush can be one ideal way to do so. They are made from a bamboo tree, and they are readily recyclable.
Being recyclable means that they are eco-friendly, while their soft bristles (which are charcoal activated), means that they are kind on the teeth. Also, when you purchase one, it comes with charcoal powder that has a mint taste to help whiten your teeth gently.
So, if you don’t want to add more plastic to that bathroom, this is an excellent gift that is ideal for those looking for pearly white teeth. The main features of this bamboo toothbrush include:
- Mint flavored taste: helps to detoxify and considerably whiten teeth while also giving a fresh mint breath.
- Medium-soft bristles: best in removing plaque, while still caring for your gum.
- Smooth charcoal powder: a superfine powder that is less abrasive than most kinds of toothpaste for tooth whitening.
- Efficient, antibacterial bamboo handle: well suited to remove about 25% of plague and its resistance to water and mold.
- Environmentally friendly: recyclable and has a minimum carbon footprint
These eco-friendly, insulated, indestructible, water bottles from Tree Tribe, are quite incredible pieces to gift a person with. And there are plenty of reasons why many people would fall in love with these bottles. First, they are indestructible, and they offer a variety of colors.
Also, they are made of stainless steel, meaning that they don’t rust and are very durable. One more thing that stands out with these water bottles is that ten trees are planted for every purchase made. This is a great initiative to give back to the environment.
They are also cost-friendly, with their price ranging from $25.02 to $31.88. Other notable features include:
- Safe for human use and environment: they don’t leak any chemicals to the environment, unlike some plastics.
- Lifetime Warranty: if the customer feels not satisfied with the quality of the bottle, the company offers a 100% refund. They also replace a damaged one with a brand new bottle.
- High-tech design: the bottle is ideal for any liquid. Whether you want it cold or hot, Tree Tribe bottles have got your back.
What better way to gift someone than with a bottle that allows them to keep liquids in any temperature, and that is indestructible?
See Related: Are Plastic Straws Recyclable?
These are lead-free pencils that contain some seeds at their bottom instead of an eraser. For those who love drawing, you can help them channel all their coloring desires by gifting them these coloring pencils. And, after the pencil is used up, they can do more good to nature by planting the seed at the bottom.
The good thing is, the packet contains the directions for planting and helping these seeds to thrive. Other features of these color Sprout pencils include:
- Sustainable and ecofriendly: the Sprout coloring pencils, as well as the graphite ones, are all lead-free and ecofriendly. They are biodegradable, non-toxic, and made from sustainable materials.
- It’s the perfect gift: presently in eight different shades and nine types of seeds. They are ideal for any age.
- What the box contains: The Sprout pencil pack contains eight eco-friendly and biodegradable Sprout pencils; six colored ones and two graphite ones. Each pencil has a capsule at the bottom that carries flowers, herbs, or vegetable seeds.
This is one of the best environmentally sustainable gifts that will suit anyone irrespective of age or gender.
This is an incredibly versatile food wrap pack that comprises five wrappers; 1 small, two medium, and two large pieces. The food wrappers are ideal for wrapping baked goods, sandwiches, cheese, fruits, snacks, or vegetables.
And, they are entirely organic, washable, biodegradable, eco-friendly, plastic-free, durable, and sustainable. You can use them for up to a year if not misused.
Materials used to manufacture these beeswax food wraps include:
- Superior organic cotton that is GOTS’ certified
- Australian imported, Manuka bee wax (organic)
- Golden jojoba oil from Israel (organic)
- Organic tree resin from the Philippines’ natural forest
One more feature that is so distinctive with these wrappers is their amazing natural smell. It comes in a mild blend of fresh, sweet, summery, natural beeswax scent that makes you want to use them over and over.
For yoga lovers, this impeccable mat is the ultimate gift. The mat is designed with the love of the practice and the environment well in mind.
The all-natural rubber and cork used to make the mat are sustainably harvested to ensure that no harm comes to the environment. Also, these materials are biodegradable, compostable, or recyclable.
From a variety of options, you can opt for whichever eco-friendly method that you want to use to dispose of the product. Water-based inks are used to print its gorgeous and symmetrical design, which facilitates a lot when aligning your poses. Main features include:
- Performance and durability to elevate your practice
- High-density, additional comfy cushion
- A non-slip grip that improves with sweat
- The cork and rubber raw materials are obtained from certified farms in Portugal and Vietnam, respectively.
- Quick dry
- Portable, flexible, and Lightweight
- Ideal for anyone: women, men, kids, beginners or advanced levels
- Zero odor: doesn’t contain toxic smells
Get a piece for your loved one and help them practice while still loving the environment.
This is the exclusive choice when it comes to serving cheese. It offers the best way for you to enjoy those Italian Ricotta slices, French Vacherine, or English Cheddar accompanied by a glass of wine. The board is perfect for holidays or functions such as birthdays, anniversaries, and weddings.
- Grooves for holding crackers, olives, or nuts
- Handcrafted from a 100% bamboo for superior quality
- Concealed drawer containing four utensils and a cheese knife
- No stains and doesn’t absorb odor
- Stainless steel knife with a bamboo handle
- Great value for your money
- Tailor-made boards, perfect for the cheese lovers
If by any chance, the cheese board doesn’t meet your standards of satisfaction, you can quickly get a replacement from the company.
This incredibly sustainable cork bracelet brings out your commitment to environmental conservation. The bracelet is a representation of beauty, durability, and strength, which makes the one it’s gifted to wear it with pride.
Those who want to make a positive change in our ecosystem, this is an excellent accessory to add to your wardrobe.
- Exclusive and durable, with water repellent feature which is ideal for those who love adventures
- Made from 100% natural cork that they source through a sustainable and eco-friendly process
- Easy to put on due to its distinctively sturdy interlocking magnetic clasp made of stainless steel
- Doesn’t cause any allergic reactions and are perfect for vegans
- Aromatherapy feature which helps you to stay smelling fresh in an ecofriendly way
Stimulate environmental consciousness to people using this aromatherapy diffuser armlet. It’s packaging also makes it quite an ideal gift idea.
How about going eco-friendly by using zero waste gift products? This kit comes loaded with:
- One set of stainless steel straws
- Single recyclable or reusable storage box
- One biodegradable drink bottle or travel cup
- Three pieces of beeswax food wraps (all sizes)
- Biodegradable bamboo toothbrush
- Bamboo travel case
- One Reusable Grocery String Bag
The 3.9 stars rated starter kit is undoubtedly a representation of the perfect way to gift an eco-conscious friend or colleague. And, with all the wonderful features that come with the items, you will have made the earth proud. The main attractive features of this gift include:
- Zero entirely reusable waste products
- Plastic-free reusable products: you don’t have to worry about plastic disposal. The items contain zero plastic, and you can reuse them over and over.
- Made from sustainable materials that are ethically sourced to preserve the environment
- The carry case and toothbrush are made from durable, biodegradable bamboo
- Beeswax wraps made from bee wax, organic cotton material, jojoba oil, and tree resin
- Grocery bag made from natural organic cotton
If you want to start your zero-waste journey or want to lead someone towards it, this zero waste starter kit is the perfect product for you. All the components of this kit are either, reusable, biodegradable or recyclable.
This is 4.8 stars rated, crafted valet tray that contains rustic copper rivets, and its ideal for keeping the phone, keys, and wallet organized. Alta Andina’s valet tray is made of vegetable-tanned leather that is polished with beeswax to maintain its allure.
The bags are ethically produced, with the companies transparent supply chain based in the Andes. Other unique and charming features of these bags include:
- Lifelong warranty: this means that you can have some peace of mind as the bag is guaranteed for its entire life. The warranty covers any manufacturer’s defects, and the company accepts returns or exchanges.
- Suitable for home or office use: the leather valet can fit in any setting. Whether you want to place a watch, phone, or expensive jewelry in it, the valet has you covered.
- Dimensions: The valet measures 6L by 5W inches.
- It is made from natural or recycled materials.
If you want to surprise a friend who loves class but still adores nature, this can be a great piece. For more sustainable products, you can check my article on 14 Ethical and Sustainable Furniture Options for Eco-Friendly Living.
See Related: What is Sustainability?
What are Sustainable Gifts?
Taking care of our environment and doing things that have positive impacts on the ecosystem should be a priority for everyone. And, even when it comes to simple things like gifting friends, family, or colleagues, things shouldn’t be any different.
I know that the highest percentage of human beings love gifts.
And, although we might not realize, gifts also come with a lot of waste products including wrappings, containers, and sometimes the gift itself.
For this reason, if you are eco-conscious, and wants to preserve the environment, try to extend eco-friendly gifts.
I know that many might wonder if this is even possible, but, today we are going to explore more on the best gifts you can give and still preserve the environment.
Sustainable gifts are presents made from sustainable materials. This means that they are products that offer environmental, economic, and social benefits while still protecting the environment and public health.
These environmentally sustainable gifts should, therefore, be beneficial to the ecosystem, right from the point of raw material extraction all the way to their final disposal point.
Those who understand the importance of sustainable living, know too well how gifts, especially during holidays and special days, can damage the environment.
Conclusion on Sustainable Gifts
Nature is all we have and must take good care of it if we also want to live abundant lives. And, since gifting is also something that we can’t do without, why not then do it in an eco-friendly way?
With more people becoming more eco-conscious, there is hope for a better world tomorrow.
And with the above types of sustainable gifts, we can continue creating awareness for every person to do their part in preserving our environment.
- Best Zero Waste Shampoo and Conditioners
- Top 13 Sustainability Influencers on Instagram
- Sustainability Definition
Green Coast is a renewable energy and green living community focused on helping others live a better, more sustainable life.
We believe that energy and green living has become far too complicated, so we created several different guides to build a sustainable foundation for our future.
The circular economy is here to stay. We need to become more efficient with recycling, reuse and reduced consumption. Here is how the circular economy plays into sustainability and our goals for the future. [Read more…] about How the Circular Economy Will Contribute to a Sustainable Future
By creating an eco-friendly bedroom, you will naturally conserve energy and live a more sustainable lifestyle.
Green living isn’t as hard as you might think. The aim of an eco-friendly lifestyle is reducing your overall consumption. Through small changes in your daily life, you can easily cut down on your carbon footprint.
What’s the perfect place to start? Your bedroom, of course. An eco-friendly bedroom not only helps the environment but it also improves your mental and physical health.
Here are a few important tips to follow on your journey to an eco-bedroom.
Why is Eco-friendly Interior Design Important?
First, let’s establish why sustainability and eco-friendliness in interior design are so important these days. Global warming is no joke. All you have to do is open the news to see how bad the Earth’s environment has gotten in the past century.
In sum, the environment’s bad and shows no sign of getting better if scientific research is to be believed.
However, with many nations getting together to fix things on a macro-scale, we need to do our part on the micro-scale as well. Sustainable interior design is a large aspect of small-scale solutions because it’s a large part of everyday life.
Yes, your bedroom is a safe space. It should be functional and aesthetic, but it should also be sustainable.
Things to Think About Beforehand
When doing any redesigning or redecorating, the first thing to check is your budget. While sustainable bedroom solutions are usually budget-friendly, you may need to get a few things.
Consequently, see what you’re willing to spend and in what ways you can minimize your costs.
Apart from budget, think about the space you have i.e., the layout, furniture, decoration. This is because, with eco-friendly bedroom designs, there are five key principles you need to follow:
- Energy efficiency
- Waste reduction
- Low carbon footprint
Incorporating these principles into your personal space is simple. For example, energy efficiency is easy enough. All you have to do is make sure your electrical appliances are energy efficient.
Moreover, a low carbon footprint means using things that are sustainable and environmentally-friendly. This includes furniture, mattresses, and even decorative pieces.
The health principle means making your bedroom more clean and fresh. For instance, this means improving indoor air quality and circulation.
On the other hand, timelessness simply means getting things that are long-lasting i.e., that can be used and reused.
9 Tips for Creating an Eco-Friendly Bedroom
Now, for the main event. What things can you do to incorporate these five principles in your eco bedroom? See these nine tips to learn how.
1. Decluttering, Reupholstering, and Recycling
Firstly, decluttering, reupholstering, and recycling are the mantras you need to adopt. This is the easiest and most budget-friendly way to transform your room into an environmentally-friendly bedroom.
Don’t get me wrong. Depending on how much stuff you have, the task will be long and tedious. You’ll have to go through everything in your bedroom and see what to keep and what not to.
This comes under the principle of waste reduction.
When you’re decluttering your bedroom, you’ll need to donate/recycle/reuse/reduce unnecessary things. For example, many of us keep old pens, papers, and clothing around long after we have no use for them.
If you’ve got old or worn-out clothing, consider doing a DIY project and reupholster them into something else. For example, old T-shirts are easy to turn into new cushion covers.
Additionally, if you’ve got stacks of excess paper, give them away for recycling. Also, it’s always good to donate excess blankets or pillows. Shelters and charities are always in need of extra resources.
Eco-friendly bedroom furniture is becoming more and more popular these days. Eco-friendly bedroom furniture is either used/upcycled furniture or furniture made with sustainable materials. Either way, using eco-friendly furniture is timeless and, in the long run, gives you a low carbon footprint.
If you’re looking for more eco-friendly furniture, look for things made with all-natural materials. Also, get things that don’t take too much space. The point is to get things that support you cutting down on consumerism.
Large shelves and big closets only encourage you to get needless things to fill them up. Here are some of the best sustainable furniture options.
If you’re looking for suggestions, here are our picks:
For example, the Way Basics Eco-friendly Shelf is both sustainable and aesthetic. Way Basics, a US-brand based in Newton Beach, CA, has been selling eco-friendly furniture, including bookcases, litter boxes, and stack tables since 2008.
We suggest this shelf for three reasons:
- It’s made of recycled paper wood. Consequently, it’s non-toxic and environmentally-friendly.
- It can hold about 30 pounds of weight, both internally and externally. You can put a lot of stuff on it without worrying about it breaking.
- Lastly, the shelf comes assembly-free, so you don’t have to waste time with your toolbox.
However, it’s a bit expensive, so check your budget.
If you’re in the market for a new bed, you have a few options in front of you. You can either go for a second-hand bed or a new one. Etsy, for instance, sells many great quality upcycled beds. You can easily get one that suits your tastes for a great price.
Buying a completely new bed is admittedly more expensive. However, it’s also a more reliable option. Unless you’re getting it from a credible source like Etsy, second-hand shopping isn’t always a good experience.
AmeriSleep is a fantastic brand from where you can get eco-friendly beds and obtain green bedroom ideas. You can either get the AmeriSleep Foundation Bed or the AmeriSleep Adjustable Bed.
AmeriSleep is another American brand that has been manufacturing high-performance yet sustainable beds, beddings, and mattresses since 2010. The company aims to promote green bedroom designs with innovative bedroom products.
Both the AmeriSleep Foundation Bed and Adjustable Bed have:
- Sleek, minimalist frames
- 100% authentic pine wood bases
- An 8.5 design (replacing box springs, which are not biodegradable)
They’re perfect for any sort of minimalist or bohemian style bedroom. Moreover, they’re both made with environmentally-friendly materials and also come assembly-free.
With the AmeriSleep Adjustable Bed, you have even more space in your bedroom as it folds in and out as per your needs.
The next thing to think about is your mattress. Most mattresses use flame retardants or PVC, which are forms of plastic. Plastic, as you know, isn’t very environmentally-friendly. It can even be hazardous to your health. So, if you’re getting rid of things, make sure your PVC mattress goes as well.
An eco-friendly mattress should be made of:
- Food-grade polyethylene varieties
Essentially, like all eco-friendly furniture, it should be all-natural.
As mentioned, AmeriSleep sells a great range of eco-friendly beds and mattresses. Their mattresses are made with plant based memory foam. If you need a new one, you’re sure to find many great options on the AmeriSleep website.
Here’s a comprehensive guide to AmeriSleep mattresses. It includes detailed descriptions about which AmeriSleep mattresses are best for the firm, soft, and heavy sleepers.
4. Temperature Controls
Another way of making your bedroom eco-friendly is to forgo temperature controls. As mentioned above, an environmentally-friendly bedroom needs to be healthy and energy-efficient.
Consequently, it’s best if you don’t use temperature controls. Air conditioners and heaters, particularly central systems, use a lot of energy and emit a high carbon footprint (as they cause greenhouse gases).
Instead of temperature controls, you can find other ways to keep your room warm or cool. In summers, use shades over your windows to prevent light from seeping in. The sunlight gets intense and heats your room. Blinds and shades help minimize this.
On the other hand, in winter, you can remove the shade and let the sun act as a natural heating source. These temperature controls will help you conserve energy and save money along the way. Want to save more on energy?
Consider these top energy conservation methods for your home.
5. Paint and Flooring
Additionally, VOC paints and flooring are very harmful to the environment. For those that don’t know, VOC stands for Volatile Organic Compounds. The ‘new paint’ smell comes from VOC. It’s very toxic and hazardous to health, especially with children.
Consequently, in your eco-friendly bedroom, use either low VOC paints or anti-VOC paints.
As for flooring, we suggest a bamboo, tile, or hardwood floor. However, if you want a carpeted floor, opt for all-natural carpets (usually made with hemp).
Avoid carpets made with:
These are not sustainable materials. Moreover, don’t allow the manufacturer to perform stain resistance, fire retardant, or antimicrobial treatments.
See Related: Best Sustainable Shoes to Buy
6. Bamboo vs. Wood
Speaking of flooring, is it better to get bamboo or wood? Many people get confused between the two. However, the answer to this question is that bamboo is more sustainable than wood.
- It grows faster than wood
- Bamboo is a natural pest repellent
- It absorbs five times more carbon dioxide than wood and other plants
- Also, bamboo is antibacterial and antifungal (meaning it’s less prone to degradation)
Moreover, bamboo is easier to work with than wood and very strong, so it can be used for many things. The list includes furniture, fabrics, flooring, and even decor. However, before purchasing, make sure that the bamboo is unprocessed.
7. Blankets, Sheets, and Pillows
We’ve talked about beds, but what about bedding? If you’re replacing bedding, the main thing to think about is the material. The material should always be organic, whether it’s cotton, wool, or hemp. As mentioned, bamboo fabrics are also highly sustainable. One example of an eco-friendly blanket is Anjee Cooling Blanket.
Organic sheets are more expensive, but they’re a good investment. Organic wool and cotton bedding or blankets are warmer and softer to touch. Therefore, organic bedding is better for your skin and sleep cycle.
Avoid bedding that has:
- Teflon i.e., stain resistance
- Formaldehyde (meaning it has no iron component)
- Flame retardants (also known as flame resistants)
One more thing: don’t get anything made with leather or suede. These are animal products, and using them defeats the purpose of living a green life.
8. Scent and Ambiance
Do you like a good fragrance? If yes, you probably use a lot of air fresheners inside your bedroom. Air fresheners are not good for the environment. For one, unless you have one made with natural ingredients, air fresheners have many artificial toxins and chemicals.
Additionally, most air fresheners are use-once and throw-away. It’s better to use natural air fresheners to improve the ambiance of your bedroom. For example, you can add a few plants in your room. Plants improve the air quality in your room by removing toxins. This also improves the smell.
- Higher Purify Performance: Use the Core 300 to fill your environment with crisp, clean air. Its Vortexair Technology creates a stronger air flow, CADR number is 230+m3/h, allowing it to cover up to 215 sq. ft. AC 120V/60HZ for USA and Canada
- Improved Filtration: With larger expansion area and longer length than others, the HEPA filter works with ultra-fine Pre-filter and activated carbon filter, trapping 99. 97% of fine particles as small as 0. 3 microns and large pollutants such as pollen, dust, pet dander, smoke
- Most Silent Air Cleaner: The noise level is nearly voiceless at sleep mode with only 24db, its QuietKEAP Technology reduces noise so you can sleep in a restful and soothing indoor environment
- Ultra-long Service Life: The AC capacitor motor uses durable high-precision bearing, and excellent internal structure increases abrasion resist, which obviously extends the life of machine
- Full Certified for Safer: Energy Star Verified, Complies with California air resources board (CARB) for indoor cleaning devices. Also FCC certified, ETL listed, CA PROP 65 certified
Moreover, you can make air fresheners (instead of purchasing them). You can easily find recipes for homemade air fresheners online.
Most recipes use all-natural ingredients, which is stuff you already have at home.
In sum, homemade air fresheners are:
- Beneficial (in terms of health)
- Easy to make
- Easy to store (in spray bottles)
You can also use scented candles, but make sure to use organic ones.
9. Lighting and Electrical Appliances
Lastly, we have lighting and electrical appliances. To create an eco-friendly bedroom, you need to get energy-efficient electrical appliances. Replace all your bulbs with LED or incandescent light bulbs. In essence, avoid compact fluorescent lighting, which has mercury and other harmful elements.
Studies have proved that fluorescent lighting emits far more UVC and UVA rays than other lighting. LED lights are much safer and environmentally-friendly.
With electrical appliances, only use those that you need. For example, get rid of air humidifiers and purifiers. Plants are a great alternative to these appliances.
Also, if you’re not using an appliance, make sure to turn it off. The same goes for lighting and fans. This not only helps cut down electricity costs but it also makes you more energy-efficient and environmentally responsible.
- PERFECT 100W A19 Light Bulb Replacement. This small and compact LED bulb will fit in all light fixtures
- 15-Watt LED replaces 100W Incandescent and Halogen Light Bulbs saving you 87% in energy use
- General purpose bulb ideal for use in table lamps, floor lamps, and open pendant fixtures. Use in any room including kitchens, living rooms, bedrooms, offices, and hallways
- Instant On Full Brightness (including in sub-zero temperatures) Super Clear and Accurate 5000K color and 1600 Lumens Bright!
- For Dimmable version, search Amazon for 6A191550DA - USA Seller for Support and Warranty
Conclusion on Designing an Eco-Friendly Bedroom
Simply put, green living is very important to implement in our homes and overall lifestyle if we want to live more responsibly. The idea of green living isn’t as drastic as one might think. It’s a slow process, which you can easily get through by implementing one change at a time.
By following these nine tips, you can easily start a more sustainable and eco-friendly phase in your life.
To conclude, we hope this guide was useful in helping you create your ideal eco-friendly bedroom. If you want to learn more about eco-friendly living, check out our additional resources below.
Did you know that sustainable development is the only way we can guarantee life for future generations? Well, these quotes on sustainable development will shed more light on that. [Read more…] about 64 Best Quotes About Sustainability (Including Inspiring, Funny & Short)