Last updated on November 11th, 2019
By creating an eco-friendly bedroom, you will naturally conserve energy and live a more sustainable lifestyle. Here are a few important tips to follow on your journey to an eco-bedroom.
9 Tips for Creating an Eco-Friendly Bedroom
Green living isn’t as hard as you might think. The aim of an eco-friendly lifestyle is reducing your overall consumption. Through small changes in your daily life, you can easily cut down on your carbon footprint.
We believe solar is the most cost-effective way to reduce your carbon footprint. There are plenty of applications you can use today, which include flexible solar, solar products and general rooftop solar.
Have questions about installing or buying solar panels? Download our FREE printable PDF file that highlights the most important questions to ask about solar energy.
It takes 5 seconds to download and get started.
What’s the perfect place to start? Your bedroom, of course. An eco-friendly bedroom not only helps the environment but it also improves your mental and physical health.
If you’re wondering how to make your bedroom environmentally friendly, we’ve compiled a short guide. Therefore, check out our nine key tips on eco-friendly bedrooms and some key tidbits to know beforehand.
Why is Eco-friendly Interior Design Important?
First, let’s establish why sustainability and eco-friendliness in interior design are so important these days. Global warming is no joke. All you have to do is open the news to see how bad the Earth’s environment has gotten in the past century.
In sum, the environment’s bad and shows no sign of getting better if scientific research is to be believed.
However, with many nations getting together to fix things on a macro-scale, we need to do our part on the micro-scale as well. Sustainable interior design is a large aspect of small-scale solutions because it’s a large part of everyday life.
Yes, your bedroom is a safe space. It should be functional and aesthetic, but it should also be sustainable.
Things to Think About Beforehand
When doing any redesigning or redecorating, the first thing to check is your budget. While sustainable bedroom solutions are usually budget-friendly, you may need to get a few things.
Consequently, see what you’re willing to spend and in what ways you can minimize your costs.
Apart from budget, think about the space you have i.e., the layout, furniture, decoration. This is because, with eco-friendly bedroom designs, there are five key principles you need to follow:
- Energy efficiency
- Waste reduction
- Low carbon footprint
Incorporating these principles into your personal space is simple. For example, energy efficiency is easy enough. All you have to do is make sure your electrical appliances are energy efficient.
Moreover, a low carbon footprint means using things that are sustainable and environmentally-friendly. This includes furniture, mattresses, and even decorative pieces.
The health principle means making your bedroom more clean and fresh. For instance, this means improving indoor air quality and circulation.
On the other hand, timelessness simply means getting things that are long-lasting i.e., that can be used and reused.
How to Create an Eco-Friendly Bedroom?
Now, for the main event. What things can you do to incorporate these five principles in your eco bedroom? See these nine tips to learn how.
Decluttering, Reupholstering, and Recycling
Firstly, decluttering, reupholstering, and recycling are the mantras you need to adopt. This is the easiest and most budget-friendly way to transform your room into an environmentally-friendly bedroom.
Don’t get me wrong. Depending on how much stuff you have, the task will be long and tedious. You’ll have to go through everything in your bedroom and see what to keep and what not to.
This comes under the principle of waste reduction.
When you’re decluttering your bedroom, you’ll need to donate/recycle/reuse/reduce unnecessary things. For example, many of us keep old pens, papers, and clothing around long after we have no use for them.
If you’ve got old or worn-out clothing, consider doing a DIY project and reupholster them into something else. For example, old T-shirts are easy to turn into new cushion covers.
Additionally, if you’ve got stacks of excess paper, give them away for recycling. Also, it’s always good to donate excess blankets or pillows. Shelters and charities are always in need of extra resources.
Eco-friendly bedroom furniture is becoming more and more popular these days. Eco-friendly bedroom furniture is either used/upcycled furniture or furniture made with sustainable materials. Either way, using eco-friendly furniture is timeless and, in the long run, gives you a low carbon footprint.
If you’re looking for more eco-friendly furniture, look for things made with all-natural materials. Also, get things that don’t take too much space. The point is to get things that support you cutting down on consumerism.
Large shelves and big closets only encourage you to get needless things to fill them up. Here are some of the best sustainable furniture options.
If you’re looking for suggestions, here are our picks:
For example, the Way Basics Eco-friendly Shelf is both sustainable and aesthetic. Way Basics, a US-brand based in Newton Beach, CA, has been selling eco-friendly furniture, including bookcases, litter boxes, and stack tables since 2008.
We suggest this shelf for three reasons:
- It’s made of recycled paper wood. Consequently, it’s non-toxic and environmentally-friendly.
- It can hold about 30 pounds of weight, both internally and externally. You can put a lot of stuff on it without worrying about it breaking.
- Lastly, the shelf comes assembly-free, so you don’t have to waste time with your toolbox.
However, it’s a bit expensive, so check your budget.
If you’re in the market for a new bed, you have a few options in front of you. You can either go for a second-hand bed or a new one. Etsy, for instance, sells many great quality upcycled beds. You can easily get one that suits your tastes for a great price.
Buying a completely new bed is admittedly more expensive. However, it’s also a more reliable option. Unless you’re getting it from a credible source like Etsy, second-hand shopping isn’t always a good experience.
AmeriSleep is a fantastic brand from where you can get eco-friendly beds and obtain green bedroom ideas. You can either get the AmeriSleep Foundation Bed or the AmeriSleep Adjustable Bed.
AmeriSleep is another American brand that has been manufacturing high-performance yet sustainable beds, beddings, and mattresses since 2010. The company aims to promote green bedroom designs with innovative bedroom products.
Both the AmeriSleep Foundation Bed and Adjustable Bed have:
- Sleek, minimalist frames
- 100% authentic pine wood bases
- An 8.5 design (replacing box springs, which are not biodegradable)
They’re perfect for any sort of minimalist or bohemian style bedroom. Moreover, they’re both made with environmentally-friendly materials and also come assembly-free.
With the AmeriSleep Adjustable Bed, you have even more space in your bedroom as it folds in and out as per your needs.
The next thing to think about is your mattress. Most mattresses use flame retardants or PVC, which are forms of plastic. Plastic, as you know, isn’t very environmentally-friendly. It can even be hazardous to your health. So, if you’re getting rid of things, make sure your PVC mattress goes as well.
An eco-friendly mattress should be made of:
- Food-grade polyethylene varieties
Essentially, like all eco-friendly furniture, it should be all-natural.
As mentioned, AmeriSleep sells a great range of eco-friendly beds and mattresses. Their mattresses are made with plant based memory foam. If you need a new one, you’re sure to find many great options on the AmeriSleep website.
Here’s a comprehensive guide to AmeriSleep mattresses. It includes detailed descriptions about which AmeriSleep mattresses are best for the firm, soft, and heavy sleepers.
Another way of making your bedroom eco-friendly is to forgo temperature controls. As mentioned above, an environmentally-friendly bedroom needs to be healthy and energy-efficient.
Consequently, it’s best if you don’t use temperature controls. Air conditioners and heaters, particularly central systems, use a lot of energy and emit a high carbon footprint (as they cause greenhouse gases).
Instead of temperature controls, you can find other ways to keep your room warm or cool. In summers, use shades over your windows to prevent light from seeping in. The sunlight gets intense and heats your room. Blinds and shades help minimize this.
On the other hand, in winter, you can remove the shade and let the sun act as a natural heating source. These temperature controls will help you conserve energy and save money along the way. Want to save more on energy?
Consider these top energy conservation methods for your home.
Paint and Flooring
Additionally, VOC paints and flooring are very harmful to the environment. For those that don’t know, VOC stands for Volatile Organic Compounds. The ‘new paint’ smell comes from VOC. It’s very toxic and hazardous to health, especially with children.
Consequently, in your eco-friendly bedroom, use either low VOC paints or anti-VOC paints.
As for flooring, we suggest a bamboo, tile, or hardwood floor. However, if you want a carpeted floor, opt for all-natural carpets (usually made with hemp).
Avoid carpets made with:
These are not sustainable materials. Moreover, don’t allow the manufacturer to perform stain resistance, fire retardant, or antimicrobial treatments.
See Related: Best Sustainable Shoes to Buy
Bamboo vs. Wood
Speaking of flooring, is it better to get bamboo or wood? Many people get confused between the two. However, the answer to this question is that bamboo is more sustainable than wood.
- It grows faster than wood
- Bamboo is a natural pest repellent
- It absorbs five times more carbon dioxide than wood and other plants
- Also, bamboo is antibacterial and antifungal (meaning it’s less prone to degradation)
Moreover, bamboo is easier to work with than wood and very strong, so it can be used for many things. The list includes furniture, fabrics, flooring, and even decor. However, before purchasing, make sure that the bamboo is unprocessed.
Blankets, Sheets, and Pillows
We’ve talked about beds, but what about bedding? If you’re replacing bedding, the main thing to think about is the material. The material should always be organic, whether it’s cotton, wool, or hemp. As mentioned, bamboo fabrics are also highly sustainable. One example of an eco-friendly blanket is Anjee Cooling Blanket.
Organic sheets are more expensive, but they’re a good investment. Organic wool and cotton bedding or blankets are warmer and softer to touch. Therefore, organic bedding is better for your skin and sleep cycle.
- SOFT TO TOUCH MATERIAL: The weighted inner layer is made of 100% breathable organic cotton and its compartments are filled with hypo-allergenic, non-toxic, odorless glass beads which are evenly distributed on each small pockets (5.9"x5.9"). Stay away from the glass beads move around and leak, just sleep peacefully
- GREAT SLEEP IN A BIG HUG: The Anjee original premium-grade magic weighted blanket helps relax your body by simulating the feeling of being held or hugged, making you fall asleep faster and sleep better throughout the night
- AMAZING GIFT: Anjee weighted blanket is a wonderful sleeping gift for ANY HOLIDAYS (Christmas, Thanksgiving Day, Halloween, New Year's Day, Easter Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentine's Day, Birthday); ANYONE YOU CARED (kids, parents, lovers, friends), provide your loved ones with a great night sleep
- RECOMMENDED WEIGHT: Please choose the weight of the blanket 10% of the body weight and usually plus 1 to 2 lbs. For the first few nights, you may feel it is too heavy or too light weight. Getting used to a weighted blanket takes about 3-5 days, you would love it
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We Anjee aim to provide a pleasant shopping experience for our valued customers. If for any reason you're unhappy with your purchase, we offer a full refund — no questions asked! Also, please feel free to contact us if any doubts or needs
Avoid bedding that has:
- Teflon i.e., stain resistance
- Formaldehyde (meaning it has no iron component)
- Flame retardants (also known as flame resistants)
One more thing: don’t get anything made with leather or suede. These are animal products, and using them defeats the purpose of living a green life.
Scent and Ambiance
Do you like a good fragrance? If yes, you probably use a lot of air fresheners inside your bedroom. Air fresheners are not good for the environment. For one, unless you have one made with natural ingredients, air fresheners have many artificial toxins and chemicals.
Additionally, most air fresheners are use-once and throw-away. It’s better to use natural air fresheners to improve the ambiance of your bedroom. For example, you can add a few plants in your room. Plants improve the air quality in your room by removing toxins. This also improves the smell.
- 【GREAT VALUE PACK】 Charcoal deodorizer bags value pack provides 1.2kg of Activated charcoal. Each 200g bag provides 150% more absorbency than the standard 50g bags. Packed in a sealed linen bag with a ring on top for easy hanging on a hanger or hook. Sufficient size to absorb odors in cars, closets and other closed areas that tend to gather moisture and odors.
- 【AIR FRENSHENER AND MOISTURE ABSORBER】 These bags are made from environmentally friendly micro-porous activated bamboo charcoal. They clean the air naturally and absorb excess moisture
- 【RECYCLABLE WITHOUT WASTE】These charcoal bags are reusable for 2 years! When this charcoal bag is saturated, in order to rejuvenate the nature fresh air purifying bamboo charcoal bag, you need to place the charcoal bag outside in the sun once a month for at least two hours. You can reuse these charcoal bags without waste.
- 【SAFE FOR WOMEN AND CHILDREN】This charcoal bag is All-natural because the ingredient of this charcoal bag is bamboo charcoal. This nature fresh air purifying bamboo charcoal bag is also free from chemicals, fragrances and toxins, it is safe for women and children.
Moreover, you can make air fresheners (instead of purchasing them). You can easily find recipes for homemade air fresheners online.
Most recipes use all-natural ingredients, which is stuff you already have at home.
In sum, homemade air fresheners are:
- Beneficial (in terms of health)
- Easy to make
- Easy to store (in spray bottles)
You can also use scented candles, but make sure to use organic ones.
Lighting and Electrical Appliances
Lastly, we have lighting and electrical appliances. To create an eco-friendly bedroom, you need to get energy-efficient electrical appliances. Replace all your bulbs with LED or incandescent light bulbs. In essence, avoid compact fluorescent lighting, which has mercury and other harmful elements.
Studies have proved that fluorescent lighting emits far more UVC and UVA rays than other lighting. LED lights are much safer and environmentally-friendly.
With electrical appliances, only use those that you need. For example, get rid of air humidifiers and purifiers. Plants are a great alternative to these appliances.
Also, if you’re not using an appliance, make sure to turn it off. The same goes for lighting and fans. This not only helps cut down electricity costs but it also makes you more energy-efficient and environmentally responsible.
- PERFECT 100W A19 Light Bulb Replacement. This small and compact LED bulb will fit in all light fixtures
- 15-Watt LED replaces 100W Incandescent and Halogen Light Bulbs saving you 87% in energy use
- General purpose bulb ideal for use in table lamps, floor lamps, and open pendant fixtures. Use in any room including kitchens, living rooms, bedrooms, offices, and hallways
- Instant On Full Brightness (including in sub-zero temperatures) Super Clear and Accurate 5000K color and 1600 Lumens Bright!
- For Dimmable version, search Amazon for 6A191550DA - USA Seller for Support and Warranty
Conclusion on Designing an Eco-Friendly Bedroom
Simply put, green living is very important to implement in our homes and overall lifestyle if we want to live more responsibly. The idea of green living isn’t as drastic as one might think. It’s a slow process, which you can easily get through by implementing one change at a time.
By following these nine tips, you can easily start a more sustainable and eco-friendly phase in your life.
To conclude, we hope this guide was useful in helping you create your ideal eco-friendly bedroom. If you want to learn more about eco-friendly living, check out our additional resources below.
Green Coast is a renewable energy and green living community focused on helping others live a better, more sustainable life.
We believe that energy and green living has become far too complex, so we created a number of different guides to build a sustainable foundation for our future.