Taking care of what surrounds us is something we should all embrace. A clean and healthy environment means a healthy life. If you want to take a notch higher in being eco-friendly, here is a list of some best sustainable shoes you can consider.
The Best Sustainable Shoes for Both Men & Women
Here is our list of best sustainable shoes for men and women. We will break it out by both categories to help you find the best style for you.
Keep in mind the good thing about sustainable, eco-friendly shoes is that most oftentimes they are available as unisex options.
Men’s and Unisex Sustainable Shoes
This is a great brand for both men and women. If you are environmentally conscious, then this sneaker is a perfect match for you at a great budget price.
Some notable features of this eco-friendly sneaker include:
- 100% cotton upper part
- A sole made from corn
- Castor bean oil insoles
- 100% recyclable packaging.
The entire shoe is made up of biodegradable materials which are good for environmental preservation. This shoe is the first 75% bio-based shoe and that is USDA certified. In terms of variety and sizes, the shoe is present in complete unisex sizes.
The shoe is available either in green or black colors.
Features that make this shoe a unique one includes:
- Environmentally friendly – The shoe is manufactured from natural and organic materials, that are 100% vegan, as well as Cruelty-free. It also contains recycled rubber and breathable canvas.
- Quality and durability – It’s a high-quality shoe that lasts long, and that is made of both breathable cotton and canvas. The Orthopedic sole, as well as it’s water-resistance qualities makes the shoes a favorite for many.
- Comes in unique designs that make it more attractive to customers. It is an improvement from the classic Japanese boots combined with the modern craftsmanship to form a unique piece.
- Comfort- Offers a barefoot comfort that reduces both knee and back pains. It can also help to attain better posture or performance
- Easy-to-fit – The boots are easy to put on. They have pull-on boots that come in a double Hook & Loop design.
- Multiuse – The shoe is usable in multiple professionals such as Acrobats, Athletes, Photographers, Dancers, Fashion Designers, Anime Fans Cosplay, and many others.
- Unisex – They have varieties that are ideal for any gender
Native is another shoe brand that manufacturers their shoes through a low-emission, safe production process. They mostly make their shoes with vegan material.
One awesome sustainable shoe for men that Native makes is the “Native Unisex Jefferson Fashion Sneaker.”
The sneaker is 100% man-made, with a synthetic sole. It contains 100% ethylene vinyl acetate, and its width is specifically made for men.
This is another awesome shoe from the native shoe company. The shoe is available in almost any color, and therefore you can choose your favorite.
If you want comfort and still preserve our good environment, then Native Jefferson 2.0 Liteknit is the shoe for you. This one is ideal for your whole family as it is unisex.
I know you were wondering why I have not mentioned this shoe manufacturing giant. Well, here it is. Nike has also not been left behind in the race towards an eco-friendlier production.
The company has been at the forefront of ensuring that manufacturers don’t produce products that are harmful to the environment.
Nike has come up with a new material they refer to as “flyleather” which feel and looks exactly as pure leather. Flyleather is a product of binding around 50% of recycled leather in an eco-sustainable water-powered procedure. The material is 40% lighter and 5 times more scratch-resistant than real leather.
Since they recycle old leather to make new products, Nike plays a big role to help keep more waste away from landfills.
One of the most reviewed Nike shoes in Amazon is “Nike Men’s Lunar Force 1 Duckboot ’17.” The shoe comes in multiple sizes and designs.
The product comes in various colors to choose from such as black, grey, and khaki among others.
Whether you have regular feet or wide ones, this shoe type is ideal for anyone. It has a synthetic sole that is very flexible.
The sneaker is made from a breathable fabric that is lightweight, resilient, durable and eco-friendly.
Whether it’s in early spring or late fall, you can use this shoe at any time. These sneakers are ideal for those who appreciate either urban classic wear or suburban casual wears.
Also, it fits well with your multinational lifestyles.
7. Veja Shoes
Veja is another ethical sneaker, and that most fashionistas prefer. If you are looking for sweatshop-free shoes, made ethically and with the environment in mind, then this is a great brand.
They make their shoes from sustainable materials such as recycled plastic, vegetable-tanned leathers, wild rubber, organic & Fairtrade cotton, hemp, and others.
One of their best seller shoe in Amazon is the Veja Sneaker da Uomo del Marchio Modello V12 B-MESH.
Whichever gender, this is a perfect fit for anyone.
They offer a variety of colors such as brown, blue, red, green and more. Other features include:
- Leather made outer material
- Inner Material – Fur
- Gum rubber sole
- Slip-on closure type
- Flat heel type
- The primary material is leather
- Regular size width
Women Sustainable Shoes
One of the best eco-friendly women shoes in the market are the FRALOSHA Women’s Slippers.
The shoe’s main features include:
- Comes from an environmentally friendly, healthy flax material, which is both breathable, and absorbs sweat.
- Easy to wear and Lightweight. They are also easy to wash, dries fast and provides total comfort and relaxation.
- Style – Comes either in a cross or flat shaped design, with beautiful colors. They are ideal to gift to lady friends and family. In terms of usability, they are most suitable for any place, whether in the bedroom, bathroom or in the garden.
- Sizes: US 8-9 Sole Length: 26 CM/10.23”, US 6.5-7.5 Sole Length: 25 CM/9.85” US 5-6 Sole Length: 24CM/9.45”
- One advantage with FLALOSHA is that they give 100% money-back guarantee in the event that you are not content with the product.
10. TOMS Women Shoes
TOMS is a popular brand of shoes and that many would recommend. They manufacture an extensive line of sustainable shoes including vegan options. Their process of production is sustainable as they make use of natural hemp to make their products, organic cotton or even recycled polyester.
To make it even better, they make their packaging boxes with materials that are 80% recycled waste. One of the best women shoes from TOMS is the “TOMS Women’s Redondo Loafer Flat“.
Notable features include; synthetic sole, textile, canvas sock liner, and is one of the vegan options.
This is a unique women’s sneaker from Nike that comes in various beautiful colors.
Other features include the following:
- Synthetic and Textile
- Rubber sole
- Ideal running shoes for ladies. This sneaker offers you an easy way to upgrade your sprints to a whole new level.
- Offers a comfort fit- They include an open mesh that is breathable and lightweight. This helps to offer comfort for the entire run.
- Beautiful but durable design – It features a closed mesh between the midfoot and heel. This provides controlled support to the shoe.
This loafer is one of the best shoes by TOMS. They come in three beautiful colors which include “black textured nylon, Drizzle Grey Micro Crosshatch, and Forged Iron Melange Neoprene.”
Other unique features include:
- 100% Textile or Fabric
- Rubber sole
- Casual Slip-on
- Upper part made of textured nylon
- Anti-microbial covered insole
- Comes with a tailored TOMS made rubber outsole
See Related: 9 Best Ethical, Sustainable Gift Ideas
These are awesome sneakers that are made through a sustainable process that minds their effect on the environment.
Notable features that come with these sustainable shoes include:
- 100% leather both for the outer and inner material
- Rubber sole
- Available in white color
14. El Naturalista
El Naturalista is a unique brand that is popular for its “chrome-free” feature. This characteristic helps to reduce water consumption, as well as chemicals, gas, and electricity consumption. Better still, it helps to cut down CO2 emissions into the atmosphere.
El Naturalista also offers some vegan options in their line of fashion. One popular shoe type in Amazon is “El Naturalista Women’s Ankle Strap Open Toe Sandals.”
The common feature with this brand includes:
- Color- Brown (Caramel Caramel)
- Material Vaquetilla
- Inspiration TULIP
- Leather lining
- Rubber/synthetic sole
- Outer side material – Other Leather
- Inner side material – Fur
- Hook & loop closure design
- No heel
Just like many other big players in the industry, Adidas is also in the front line to ensure what they produce is environmentally friendly and sustainable. The brand makes use of old plastic bottles, as well as rrubbish they clean up from water bodies like the ocean.
They use the recycled plastic material to make shoes, laces, and heels’ lining, among other things. A pair of their shoes are made from 11 recycled plastic cans. Therefore, these shoes are a composition of 95% reused plastic.
One of their popular type of shoes for women is the “Adidas Originals Women’s Superstar Running Shoe“. Therefore, if you need sustainable shoes for women, Adidas has all you require.
The sneaker’s composition is as follows:
- Leather outer material
- Gum rubber sole
- Lace-up closure
See Related: Top Palm Oil Free Products for Your Home
Why buy sustainable shoes?
One trend among many that have gained popularity in the preservation of the environment is the use of sustainable shoes.
The shoe industry has seen drastic changes, with more and more companies shifting to the production of environmentally friendly shoes. This is as a result of the high demand for the same from customers.
Everyone nowadays wants to play a part in making our environment a more habitable place. By using biodegradable material or sustainable cloth, you can leave the world in a better place.
Today, this article aims to give you a comprehensive list of some of the best brands of shoes that are eco-friendly.
Conclusion On Sustainable Shoes
The threat of environmental pollution and degradation is something that must be taken seriously by everyone. The fact that various shoes are making sustainable shoes through environmentally friendly processes is a big step.
I hope that this article helps you find your favorite eco-friendly shoe type.
Which is your favorite eco-friendly shoe brand? Share with us your comments below.
- 53 Important Facts About Landfills You Need to Know
- 5 Best Reusable K Cup Options to Become More Eco-Friendly
- How to Recycle Brita Filters (Safe & Eco-Friendly Tips to Consider)
Green Coast is a renewable energy community solely focused on helping people better understand renewable energy technologies and the environment.