If you want to water your garden or fill your pool without needing to pay for electricity (or lay any cable) – a solar water pump is the way to go. They’re an easy way to maintain gardens in areas where there is not enough access to electricity or when traditional electric methods are too expensive.
Of all the solar water pumps on the market right now, we rate the ECO-WORTHY Solar Well Pump Kit as the best of the bunch. It’s an out-of-the-box solution, with everything you need to get started. Durable, affordable, and with a high flow rate, it’s sure to get the job done.
- All-in-one kit that includes all needed parts.
- Designed for use in deep wells.
- A high flow rate of up to five gallons per minute.
- No separate battery for the controller.
- The battery and charge controller aren’t waterproof.
While the ECO-WORTHY is definitely the best solar water pump overall, you should also check out the other products in this review. We’ll explore the best solar water pumps on the market, and show you how to pick the right one for you!
Best solar water pumps reviewed
We’ve considered a number of things when researching the best solar water pump – and narrowed each product choice down by some specific criteria. We’ve looked at the standout features, considered customer reviews, and also tried to provide the best use case for each product that made the cut.
1. Best overall – ECO-WORTHY Solar Well Pump Kit with Battery Backup
We’ve chosen the ECO-WORTHY Solar Well Pump as the best solar water pump on our list, because it has the largest range of accessories and features, such as a battery backup.
This pump kit has all the accessories you need to get started, including a submersible pump, battery backup, set of pipes, and connectors.
The kit is designed for deep wells (up to 100 feet) with up to five gallons per minute flow rate. The solar panel has a maximum power point voltage of 18V and the batteries have an hour rating of six hours at a minimum depth level. It comes with a one-year warranty.
The battery connected to the solar panel needs to be charged for around an hour before the controller will start pumping.
The pump is an excellent choice for deep wells and can be highly effective in certain weather conditions such as high temperatures, where water usage is at its highest level.
What we like:
- The all-in-one approach – This kit has everything you need to get started, so you don’t need to shop around for other parts.
- The deep well applicability – The ECO-WORTHY is designed for use in deep wells, which is going to make it ideal for some properties.
- The high flow rate – With a flow rate of up to five gallons per minute, the pump can move a respectable amount of water.
What we don’t like:
- The controller has no separate battery – The battery needs to be charged in order for the controller to work.
- The battery and charge controller aren’t waterproof – Neither the battery nor the controller is waterproof, which is odd in a water pump setup.
Overall, the ECO-WORTHY Solar Well Pump is a fantastic option for those looking for a solar-powered water pump. It is deep-well compatible and has a high flow rate, but there are some downsides to consider.
2. Best budget pick – Solariver Solar Water Pump Kit
We’ve chosen the Solariver Solar Water Pump Kit as our best budget choice because it’s a relatively inexpensive option that still comes with many of the features you’ll need from your solar water pump.
The manufacturer states that the pump is viable for large fountains, water features, ponds, streams, waterfalls, hydroponics, aquaponics, greenhouses, rainwater collection, animal troughs, natural pools, which makes it very versatile, but deep wells are a notable exception from that list.
The pump comes with a number of features, including an automatic start-and-stop function that is activated by the water level in the reservoir.
The Solariver pump has an operating range of between 100 feet to 400 feet, so you can place it on higher ground if your water source is lower down, or move it closer to the well itself – either way, this solar-powered submersible pump should be able to handle even steeply sloping water sources with relative ease.
Solariver offers a one-year warranty for its products and provides excellent customer service via both phone and email support channels.
The manufacturer does not mention anything about replacement parts being available within that time frame though, but given how many people have commented positively on its durability, we are inclined to believe they are readily available.
What we like:
- The operating range – For a solar pump, this one is unusually powerful and can draw water from up to 100 feet to 400 feet away.
- Customer service – Excellent customer service is always a boon, and Solariver provides this in spades.
- The warranty – A one-year warranty is generous for a solar pump.
What we don’t like:
- Not suitable for wells – While it is suited for ponds, this model could not be used to pump water from a well.
Overall, the Solariver Solar Water Pump Kit is a great buy if you’re looking for an inexpensive water pump kit and can overlook some potential compatibility issues.
3. Best for swimming pools – PWS Solar Powered Swimming Pool Pump
Swimming pools are one of the primary reasons for getting a solar water pump, but the PWS Solar Powered Swimming Pool Pump is definitely the best solar water pump for anyone looking specifically at pool pumps.
The solar water pump controller drives the high efficient brushless DC pump motor, utilizing the latest MPPT technology to ensure maximum flow is delivered under all light conditions.
The pump is also backed by a two-year warranty, making it one of the most reliable solar water pumps on the market.
If you’re looking for an all-inclusive solar water pumping solution, the SunPump SP2000 kit is hard to beat. It comes with everything you need to get your system up and running – including a 20W panel, controller, batteries, and even an automatic fill valve for your pool or pond!
Water shortage sensors mean that the pump’s run time is automatically adjusted to fit your particular water needs.
What we like:
- The water shortage sensor – this pump is smart enough to know when it’s running out of water and will stop automatically. No more worrying about your pump running dry!
- Pump power – The 1500 watt motor means this pump can handle larger swimming pools without issue.
- The two-year warranty – The PWS Solar Powered Swimming Pool Pump comes with an extended two-year warranty.
What we don’t like:
- The variable speed controller – While this is great for conserving energy, some users reported that it caused the pump to cycle on and off too frequently, making it noisy.
Overall, the PWS Solar Powered Swimming Pool Pump is an excellent option if you’re looking for a powerful solar-powered pool pump. It’s perfect for those with medium to large swimming pools.
4. Best premium pick – ECO-WORTHY 400W Solar Well Pump Kit
The best solar water pump for those willing to stretch their budget; the ECO-WORTHY 400W Solar Well Pump Kit as our premium pick because it’s a powerful and durable pump that is perfect for wells up to 100 feet deep!
It also comes with a built-in controller, so you don’t have to purchase one separately.
The main thing that sets the ECO-WORTHY 400W apart from the other pumps on this list is that it’s significantly more powerful. It can provide up to 400 watts of water flow, which is perfect for those who need a lot of pressure or have deep wells.
Like the other pumps on this list, it comes with its own built-in controller and has four high output solar panels that are capable of charging even during cloudy days.
The one downside we found was that the included battery wasn’t able to store much energy (about 20 amp hours), meaning you would likely want to purchase an additional battery if your well-pump will be running overnight.
Although batteries aren’t usually included in most solar kits, they’re often necessary when using DC appliances such as deep-well pumps because they ensure there is power stored throughout the day so the pump can run continuously.
What we like:
- The larger number of solar panels – This kit is powerful enough to run most pumps with ease, but at the same time it is also designed for simplicity and user-friendliness.
- The controller – It comes with a 30 amp digital solar controller that can be left alone as you don’t have to monitor or adjust anything yourself – which means less work on your end.
What we don’t like:
- The price – The only downside to this pump is that it’s a bit on the expensive side. However, the price is worth every penny considering how durable and efficient this pump is.
If you’re looking for an extremely high-quality solar water pump, then the ECO-WORTHY 400W Solar Well Pump Kit is definitely worth considering.
What is a solar water pump and what does it do?
Solar water pumps are simply a type of pump that is powered by the sun and helps draw water from wells or other sources. This allows you to harness solar energy for more than just home electricity needs.
The power to the pump is generated by solar panels which are placed at the highest point possible. The water pump system is installed at the lowest point of the water source so that it can be powered by gravity and suck up as much water as possible.
Solar energy has many advantages over other sources of power, such as fossil fuels or wind turbines, since it emits no pollution to our environment.
If you do decide to install a solar water pump system on your property make sure that it will meet all your needs while still being energy efficient before taking any major steps like purchasing the equipment itself. This way you ensure that everything goes smoothly from start to finish with no problems along the way!
What to look for in a solar water pump
When choosing a solar pump, it’s important to take into consideration a few key factors, including:
Solar panel type
The size of the solar panel bundled with your pump will determine how quickly your pump can be powered up and running. Larger solar panels will require more sunlight to generate power, but also have the ability to pump more water per minute than a smaller panel.
As with all working motors, you’ll want a pump that is built to last. Check the pump’s warranty, and make sure it’s made from quality materials that can withstand outdoor use.
The amount of water your pump is able to move per minute will be directly related to how much water you’ll want it to move.
If your goal is just for light irrigation of plants, a small amount of pumping power will be sufficient, but if you need heavier pressure or flow than that, you’ll need to check the specifications on any pump before buying it to make sure it can handle the required volume.
Your pump needs to be connected to your solar panel, so be sure to check the cord length on any model you’re considering. You’ll need to place your panel in the optimal position for catching the most sunlight, so make sure you can do that without having to move your pump around.
If you need a powerful and consistent water pump that doesn’t require connection to the mains and doesn’t add to your energy bill or carbon footprint, then a solar water pump is definitely worth your investment. As far as our list of mini reviews goes, ECO-WORTHY Solar Well Pump Kit came out top of the class.