Last updated on November 19th, 2019
Have you ever been miles away and couldn’t access a power outlet to charge your electronic device and was quite inconvenienced? This Birksun Solar Backpack review will help you understand how you can charge your devices while on the go and solar backpack that is best for you.
Birksun Solar Backpack Review: What Solar Backpack is Best for You?
Are you planning to go for an adventurous outdoor activity with family or friends but wondering how you will keep your gadgets fully charged in those remote locations? Well, here is a Birksun solar backpack review that delves into the best ways to keep your devices charged at all times.
We can all agree that today, nearly everyone has the latest gadgets in their pockets. From smartphones, iPods to tablets, different devices have revolutionized various aspects of our lives.
If you have ever been in a remote place and your gadget died out, then you understand what I am saying. One of the most common and tragic thing in all these devices is that they keep dying and running out of battery.
That can mess you up especially if it runs out of battery when you need to use it. Maybe you want to capture a shot of a memorable moment, update or communicate with your loved ones, and you’re left wondering how to do it.
Well, that doesn’t have to mess you up anymore. That’s because a portable charging system like Birksun Solar backpack comes in handy in such situations. Now, you can benefit from the solar backpacks for charging your device conveniently while on the go.
Before we delve into more about the Birksun Solar Backpack, let’s first have a look at what a solar backpack is.
What is a Solar Backpack?
A solar backpack is a traveling bag that helps convert solar power into direct current. Solar energy is green and clean energy. With solar energy, there is no emission of greenhouse gases. Therefore these bags are not only ideal for you because of their portability but also because solar energy is clean and renewable.
A solar backpack is one of the most recent useful and well-timed devices with plenty of advantages. These units comprise of powerful units which can be lifesaving for an avid traveler.
When you want to go biking, mountaineering, camping, or somewhere that has no reliable power source, then you can carry these backpacks conveniently.
The market is however flooded with tons of backpacks. Therefore, it leaves you with a task of establishing which one is best for you.
In this Birksun review, we will do a Birksun review that will help you determine whether this is the best solar backpack for you.
See Related: Top Quotes About Climate Change
Since 2013, Birksun has remained to be a top brand selling solar backpacks. The solar backpacks function precisely the same way as any other charger.
In this Birksun Solar Backpack review, we will explore the different specifications and compare different solar backpacks to help choose the best.
Birksun solar backpacks can charge your devices with a speed that is equal to that of the wall chargers. A Birksun backpack can deliver power equal to 1% of the mobile battery when exposed to the sun for 2 minutes.
The backpack can fully charge a device within 2 hours with its in-built lithium battery of 3000 mAH capacity. You can charge your gadget simultaneously while the bag still gets powered by the sun.
The Birksun backpack has a stylish design where you can place your mobile when charging. You can connect the mobile to the battery using a USB that Birksun provides.
That way, the mobile stays safe and intact with the bag unless you disconnect it when need be.
Features to Consider When Searching for the Best Solar Backpack
Here are the few things that you need to check before you shop for the best solar backpack:
The Solar Backpack Weight
If you are planning to go for a long hike or expedition, then you should pay attention to the weight of the solar backpack. You can use a heavier one if you are going on a short day hikes because you’ll not be carrying the heavy outdoor gear.
Solar Power Capacity and Voltage
Another critical consideration is the solar power capacity. That will depend on your electric power needs needed to charge your devices.
Some solar backpacks can charge your smartphone only, whereas others offer more power to charge different devices such as GPS unit, DSLR camera, laptop, and tablet. Also, you should always check your voltage specifications.
That is to ensure that the voltage is either equal to or higher than your electronic devices power needs.
Construction of the Backpack
The durability of your backpack is also an essential aspect to factor in. If you want to go hiking or camping, then you must pick a well-built backpack that can withstand even the harshest elements in the woods.
Choose not only a water-resistant backpack but also long-lasting and the one built with sturdy materials. Ensure that the straps can connect well without tearing. The solar panels should be made with materials that are tough and flexible to avoid damage from elements such as rain, snow, or sun.
Size of the Hydration Bladder
A majority of solar backpacks have a hydration bladder that can help you carry enough water for the day or longer. Ideally, a 2-liter hydration bladder is sufficient to help you stay hydrated for the entire day in the wild.
Your Backpack Budget
The backpack cost can also determine the type of solar backpack that you get. Different solar backpacks cost different prices depending on their key features as well as their size. A high-quality solar backpack, with less weight and more durability, may cost more. The important thing is to ensure that the bag that you have purchased has all the necessary features.
There is no point of exceeding your specific budget for features that you never use, especially if you are only going for a short hike. But, if you are going for more extended mountain climbing, then you can consider buying a more expensive bag.
Consider that as an investment because you will use it multiple times.
Standard Features of a Birksun Solar Backpack
Here are the common features of the Birkum Solar Backpack:
Birksun solar panels have modern Nano-crystalline technology, which has a higher absorption capacity. They have thinner films which integrate well with the bag’s fabric.
Also, the solar panels are scratch proof, and the bags are highly durable.
These panels collect energy from the sun and preserve it for long. The fabric of the bag is finest with a comforting touch, and their standard YKK zipping protects everything that is inside from harsh outside elements.
When it comes to size, Birksun solar backpacks come in two different sizes. They include 16.5” (H) x 12” (W) x 4.5” (D) and 18.5” (H) x 12” (W) x 5.5” (D).
Best Birksun Solar Backpack
- A superior water-resistant fabric which ensures that your solar pack is functional even in the event that it falls in the water.
- Durable solar panels that are both waterproof and lightweight. The solar panels will be operational for a longer period as compared to other solar panels.
- The backpack is TSA approved, meaning that it can be used both locally and internationally.
- It includes a dedicated laptop sleeve that can securely clasp a 17-inch laptop.
- An in-built, 3,000mAh Lithium-Ion battery that can charge almost all USB devices. The battery is a 3.25 watt monocrystalline that will charge your device at speed similar to that of a wall charger.
- Fast charging solar pack. With only 2 minutes of exposure to sunlight, it can create energy, capable of charging your devices. It also offers a better efficiency ratio.
- Multiple pockets. The bag contains numerous pockets to help keep your gadgets both safe and secure.
- Less bulky to carry with dimensions of 16x12x15 inches.
Pros of BirkSun Solar Backpack
- Offers fast device charging
- Provides the most recent solar technology
- The backpack is designed to last it is entirely waterproof
- Has a 3,000mAh battery powerful enough to charge most USB devices
- Offers an attractive design
Cons of BirkSun Solar Backpack
- The price is slightly higher than that of other similar models
- Only one USB port which can only charge one device at any given time.
Birksun Solar Backpack Alternatives
There are many other solar backpacks in the market, but for this article, we will look at one major competitor of Birksun solar backpack. The main alternative to Birksun is the Voltaic Systems Solar Backpack.
Voltaic Systems Solar Backpack Overview
This is another excellent choice for a solar backpack that will give you great service and make your outdoor adventures memorable. The Voltaic Systems Solar Backpack is a bit different to the Birksun’s solar backpack, but it also offers impressive features. Firstly, the backpack contains a 4000mAh portable battery pack that is removable.
The battery pack can hold enough power to charge any smartphone one and a half times fully.
The battery pack is rechargeable either by an AC outlet or through a solar panel. Also, the backpack is fitted with a solar panel that can fully charge your device with just 3 hours of exposure to sunlight.
- Includes an in-built, small and rechargeable 4000mAh lithium-ion battery that offers a 1Amp power output.
- Ultralight and compact design.
- Can charge most devices with just 3 hours of direct sunlight exposure.
- A solar panel that is water and UV resistant, and can last longer than other solar panels by 2-3x.
- A 20L storage and a different internal sleeve able to hold a 15″ laptop.
- It is compatible with thousands of USB devices, including phones, laptops cameras, and more.
- The backpack is built using recycled PET fabric.
- High-quality stitching.
Pros of Voltaic Systems
- It is resistant to water and UV
- Excellent weight distribution
- The backpack is strong and can stand on its own.
- Made of durable recycled PET fabric.
Cons of Voltaic Systems
- The side pockets open in the wrong way.
- Inelastic outside compartment
Voltaic Systems vs BirkSun
Each of the two solar backpacks has its benefits and strong points. And, although they offer different features, each has something good to offer. When choosing which is the best backpack for you, you should consider all your needs and try to find the one that meets a large percentage of them.
For example, while the Voltaic Systems backpack takes three hours to charge your device, the Birksun pack takes 2hrs. This makes Birksun strong in that area. On the other hand, the Voltaic battery is 4000mAh while the Birksun one is 3000mAh. It, therefore, means that the Voltaic system will keep the charge for long making it a reasonable tradeoff.
When it comes to durability, the Birksun’s bag is more durable than the Voltaic system one. But, for the solar panels, the voltaic ones are more durable than the Birksum’s one.
Therefore, it is good to consider exactly what you look for in the backpack before you purchase.
See Related: Best Solar Panels for Camping
Birksun Solar Backpack Reviews
According to online reviews made by the users, Birksun Solar Backpack (Mythos Black) is rated at 3.7 stars out of 5 stars. Here are some of the online Birksun reviews.
- James Cowan (Amazon) – 5.0 out of 5 stars. “Best Backpack I’ve Ever Owned.”
- Micaela – 4.0 out of 5 stars. “It’s a really good solar backpack, charges fast. There aren’t any side pockets for water bottles, and it’s not that great to take to the beach because all the padding in the back has teeny tiny holes that the sand gets in.”
- DMS – 5.0 out of 5 stars. “Black and beautiful. Great combination of style and substance. This bag looks and feels very premium. Love the fleece pockets. Charges my phone very fast.”
- Andrew dorf – 5.0 out of 5 stars. “Great backpack wish it had a side pocket for a water bottle.”
Conclusion on Birksun Solar Backpack
Although many backpacks bombard the current solar backpacks market, don’t let lack of information make you choose the wrong backpack.
In this comprehensive Birksun solar backpack review, I believe that you will have most of what you need to make an informed choice.
What do you use to charge your gadget when going for an outdoor adventure? Let us know in the comments below.
- Best Solar Panels in 2019 [Reviews And Buying Guide Included]
- Solar Panel Roof Load Calculator: Will My Roof Support Solar Panels?
- Monocrystalline Vs Polycrystalline Solar Panel: What’s The Difference?