Last updated on January 3rd, 2020
Are you in need of an emergency off-grid electricity to power your devices? These hand crank generators are just what you require.
7 Best Hand Crank Generators (Including Buyer’s Guide)
Most often, people ‘don’t realize the importance of electricity until they can’t access any source of power. Whether it is lighting, heating, or communication, the current world seems impossible without energy.
Since communication is something that we do every minute if not less, here are some of the best hand crank generators that will ensure you stay connected.
Hand crank generators are a great source of power that you can use to charge your phone when you are far away from electricity. The generators can also help you charge other traveling gadgets, including an emergency radio and a flashlight.
You ‘don’t have to stay in the dark or fail to communicate for days just because you have no electricity, and you can make it yourself.
The best thing about hand crank generators is that they only require your strength to generate power. These generators do not rely on gas, stored energy, or various weather aspects such as wind or sunlight.
All you need is your muscle, and you are good to start charging your devices.
Most people may view them as an outdated source of power, but wait until all your devices, including your power bank, runs dry.
In this article, we are going to explore some best hand crank generators that are available in the market today. But before that, what exactly are these devices?
What are Hand Crank Generators?
A crank generator is a device that is used to generate power by cracking a lever or a pedal attached to the device. The generators are portable and can be used to power multiple travel devices which ‘don’t require much electricity such as phones.
Hand crank generators are lovely devices for vacations, and which you can rely on for powering your small electronics.
How a Hand Crank Generator Works
With hand crank generators, you are practically the source of power. These devices will use your power when you are turning the crank, to generate electrical energy. When you turn the crank, the generator converts your muscle energy into electrical energy.
These devices can generate energy using an inbuilt dynamo. The cracking process alternates the dynamo, making it generate power in turn. When the dynamo generates the power, the power is then stored in an integrated battery from where you can use it later.
Most of the generators contain an output port to allow you to connect and charge your devices. They provide you a simple way to produce off-grid power, no matter where you are in the globe.
With these hand crank generators, the amount of voltage they generate is directly dependent on your effort. The longer and faster you turn that crank, the more the resulting power you will get.
Since the generators have an in-built voltage regulator, you need not worry as it will maintain a steady flow of current to avoid problems when charging.
Also, although some hand crank generators are built for specific devices, most of them are versatile and can charge multiple devices. Most of them contain a cigarette lighter socket, a typical electrical socket or electrical lead which enable you to plug in various devices.
With just 1.5rpm, most modern hand generators will give you around 5 volts. For 2rpm, you can get about 6.2 volts. In most cases, the generators can generate up to 6V although, some come with gearings, which enhances the cranking and therefore can create higher voltages.
Things to Consider Before Making a Purchase
Knowing what exactly you are looking for can make things a lot easy for you. Based on your needs and preferences, it’s good to consider the following aspects of the hand crank generators before you buy one.
You ‘don’t want to buy a generator that will not give you enough energy to charge your gadgets. That would be a waste of time and money, and it might frustrate you in the end. You should be sure of at least how much power you require to make it easy for you to search for a device that suits you.
Various uses for your hand crank generator will determine how much energy output you need.
If you are going for an outdoor adventure or backpacking, carrying a massive or heavy hand crank generator may cause a lot of unnecessary inconveniences.
It will be bulky to move with it around, and you will not be able to carry it for long. Therefore, you should look for a lightweight device that ‘won’t be cumbersome for you to take around.
Another important thing you should consider is your budget and the price of the generator. You ‘can’t afford to throw too much money that may affect your whole budget. Buying a gadget that is within your budget will help not to strain your finances.
Also, you should avoid buying the cheapest generators as the low price may also translate to fewer and unreliable feature.
Durability and efficiency
You must find a hand crank generator that will not break with the first exposure to harsh conditions. Especially if you are going to a place where weather conditions are not very conducive, a hardy device would be necessary. Also, the efficiency of the generator to produce electrical energy is of immense importance.
The main intention of getting the device is to ensure you can get that energy when you most need it. A generator that is not efficient in that will spoil your travel.
See Related: DIY Solar Generator Guide
List of Best Hand Crank Generators
In the current market, there are multiple hand crank generators available and which may cause a challenge when choosing for the best.
In this hand crank generator review, we have selected several of the best hand crank generators to simplify your search. We have done intensive research for you, and all you need is to go through the list and find the device that best fits your needs.
Let’s start with a summary table to help you understand the best option to buy.
Summary Table – Top Options to Buy
Here are several descriptions, features and pros/cons of the top hand crank generators to buy.
1. HUABAN Hand Crank Generator High Power Charger by HUABAN
The first, hand-cranked generator on our list is the HUABAN Hand Crank Generator. With 4.1 stars rating on Amazon reviews, this product is not only handy but also very popular. The 28V hand power generator can comfortably power a battery with an average of 5 to 28V direct current.
With this product, you can quickly crank at an amplified torque, lower the revolutions per minute (RPM) and still produce the same power but in minimal time. Although the HAUBAN generator ‘doesn’t include an integrated battery, you can connect your battery, as well as your devices directly.
This is possible as it comes with alligator clips, a USB 2.0 plug, and a mini USB plug.
Benefits of Using this Product include:
- Lightweight, and very handy.
- Offers free shipping by DHL when shipping from China.
- Provides a max power of 30W, 0-28V output voltage, a rated current of 1.5-2Amp, and a maximum current of 3Amp.
- Size dimensions of 106 by 64 by 9mm with a generator net weight of 480g.
- A hand crank generator kit that includes one generator, one Regulator, one 12mm Aviation Socket and one alligator Clip 5.5mm Plug.
- It is built of aluminum alloy material.
- Many output ports with cables.
Therefore, when in need of an instant off-grid power production, HAUBAN generator offers the best option. As one of the best and top selling hand crank generator, you can not make a better choice.
2. Powertraveller Crankmonkey Mobile Generator by Powertraveller
Another incredible hand power generator available in the current market is the Powertraveller Crankmonkey Mobile Generator. Although not much reviewed, this product is a handy solution when it comes to phone charging emergencies. With just two minutes of fast cranking, the generator can instantly produce enough power to enable you to make an emergency call.
Based on the ‘manufacturer’s information, the device can deliver enough energy to power an 18-minute call if you crank for 10 minutes.
Benefits of Using this Product include:
- It has a 32:1 gearing system which will enable you to create power at comfortable speeds.
- It is built of an anodized aluminum material that gives it an outdoorsy and military allure.
- It comes with a lifetime guarantee, which makes it ideal for any adventurous use.
- The product is IP65 rated, and therefore, it is resistant to moisture and can as well endure the rain. However, ‘don’t submerge it into water.
3. Epica Digital Emergency Solar Hand Crank Charger by Epica
Designed for off-grid power solutions and emergencies, Epica Digital Emergency Solar Hand Crank Charger is as handy as its intended. If you want a device that is more than just a hand crank generator, then this is an excellent choice.
Not only does this product offer the best solution for emergency calls during your off-grid vacations, but it also provides much more.
With an additional 3-band radio, a solar panel, an LED flashlight, and a plug-in, your outdoor adventure is all sorted.
Epica Digital Emergency is also a top-rated product in Amazon, which should eliminate any doubts about its performance.
Benefits of Using this Product include:
- The device is versatile and portable as it comes with a carabiner clip which you can use to fasten it to your belt.
- Includes a digital tuner radio in its package, LED flashlight, and a solar panel.
- Although it ‘won’t fully charge your phone, with just one minute of cranking, you can get 20 full minutes of power.
- It has multiple power sources, including hand cranking, a solar panel, and a plug-in.
- Simple backlight with a digital liquid-crystal display which makes everything visible.
- Their guarantee is incredible with a 100% replacement in the event you ‘don’t like your device.
- You ‘don’t require batteries as you can crank, or use solar to have your flashlight, radio, and phone working.
4. Toupuke Hand Crank Hand Emergency Power Generator with DC Converter by Toupuke Fashion
This is another beautiful hand crank generator that can significantly help keep your communication on. Hand Crank Hand Emergency Power Generator is a bit more advanced than most hand-crank generators and includes a DC power converter. Also, it uses advanced magnetic conversion technology.
With a max power of 30W, the generator can comfortably produce an output between 0V to 28V when converted from the DC. Using this amount of energy, you can charge a wide variety of devices, especially your emergency appliances. Also, the hand generator is made from durable materials include aluminum alloy for the outer case.
The device is built explicitly for emergencies and harsh outdoor situations, and therefore, it contains numerous features that make it hardy.
One of the great features is that the generator can still work well in altitudes of 5000m and temperatures of between 40C to 60C.
Benefits of Using this Product include:
- The generators of steel metal features make it shock resistant.
- It is built from a durable aluminum alloy.
- Numerous output adapters, as well as ports, are available.
- It offers a water-resistant model.
- The product is lightweight and versatile enough to generate power anywhere.
With all these beautiful features, the Toupuke Hand Crank generator proves to be a suitable charging device in case of an outdoor emergency.
5. K-TOR Pocket Socket Hand Crank Generator by K-TOR
The four stars rated K-TOR hand crank generator is another excellent product in this list that you ‘won’t regret owning one. The manufacturing company is known to create crank generators, as well as pedal ones. At 120 volts, their hand crank generators can produce around 10W of power which you can use to charge your devices. The two-prong outlet interface makes all this easy.
K-TOR hand crank generators are intended for cameras, mobile phones, GPS navigators, rechargeable lights, radios, as well as other emergency devices. Also, the generators can help charge AA, as well as AAA battery chargers.
Benefits of using this Product include:
- It can help you charge a wide variety of devices ranging from smartphones, radios, to cameras.
- It comes with an easy-to-grip knob which makes it easy for you to crank.
- The K-TOR pocket socket offers you an option to connect a European adapter, as well as an international converter. However, you have to purchase these items separately.
- The generator is lightweight, which makes it extremely portable.
- K-TOR offers a two-prong interface which makes your charging easy.
When you need emergency power for your devices, and you are far from the utility grid, K-TOR Pocket Socket is an option you can rely on. The hand crank generator is operational anywhere, at any time, no matter the situation. Pocket Socket is not only a generator but also an eco-friendly source of backup or emergency power.
Don’t let lack of power cut your communication. The K-TOR Pocket Socket is indeed one of the best hand crank generators we have around.
6. ZXMOTO Hand Crank Generator 20W 3V-12V by ZXMOTO
Another beautiful hand crank generator is ZXMOTO Hand Crank Generator. With a max of 20W of power, this product can generate an output of between 3V and 13V, which is ideal for portable devices like phones. The product offers crank rotating speeds of 2000rpm which enables you to create enough energy to sort you in emergencies.
Although not very much reviewed online, ZXMOTO hand crank generator is a beautiful product you can undoubtfully try.
Benefits of Using this Product includes:
- It generates enough energy to sort you in emergencies and keeps the operation of your device.
- Small in size and very portable, which makes it ideal for outdoor traveling.
- A complete metallic case which makes it resistant to severe condition. Also, it contains a significantly durable lever.
- The device is a source of eco-friendly energy and helps in energy saving.
- Offers six types of voltage settings including 3v/6.6A, 5v/4A, 6v/3.3A, 9v/2.2A, 12v/1.6A, 15v/1.3A. However, when charging any device using the USB port, you should first ensure to adjust the voltage back to 5V before plugging in.
- It has multiple ports that can connect devices like USB light, power bank, low-voltage energy-saving bulbs, and more.
If at all you are looking for a hand crank generator to use for a field trip, natural disasters, rescue operations, emergency communications, and backpacking, among others, then ZXMOTO is an incredible choice. No matter where you are, and at any time, this hand power generator has your back.
7. Qianson 4W Hand Crank DC Power Generator by Qianson
The last but not least product on our list is the Qianson 4W Hand Crank DC Power Generator. This 5-stars rated generator on Amazon is an exceptional hand crank power generator that will surely keep your gadgets operational. The generator has an output voltage of 15V/1000r and an output current of 100-300mA/l000r.
This type of hand crank generator is an excellent device for outdoor, off-grid adventures, and it ensures that you ‘don’t run out of power for your small gadgets. With the capability to charge your phone and give you enough minutes to make that emergency call, this device a new source of power.
You can also use it to charge a flashlight and therefore when it comes to darkness, you are all sorted.
Benefits of using this product include:
- The handheld generator is not costly and therefore, affordable to many.
- Can help you charge a wide range of your small devices including phones and flashlight.
- Very portable and easy to generate electrical power with.
- High quality with a long lifespan of around ten years.
- You can use it as a portable lighting tool.
Conclusion on Best Hand Crank Generators
Although the advancement in technology has brought about many portable devices for storing energy, sometimes they will not be what you require. Some like power banks have limited storage capacity, and if you use it for long without recharging, it will exhaust the stored energy.
For those who seek to have long outdoor travels, this list on the best hand crank generators will help you identify a portable generator that needs your muscle to create energy.
Have you ever used a hand crank generator, and how was your experience? Let us know in the comments below.
Check out our renewable energy dictionary to learn all the latest defined terms in the industry.
- 11 Best Books on Renewable Energy
- Direct Energy Review: A Low-Cost Energy Provider
- Biofuel Pros and Cons Analysis: How Does it Work?
Related Product Reviews
- Best Greywater Systems for Homes
- Top Solar Panels (Including Buying Guide)
- Best Books on Renewable Energy
Green Coast is a renewable energy community solely focused on helping people better understand renewable energy technologies and the environment.