Are you interested in getting an Ebike conversion kit for your bike, but not sure which one to get?
Ebikes are a great way to replace car trips with bike trips, and there is no shortage of Ebike conversion kits on the market, which can lead to a bit of analyst paralysis when it comes to choosing the right one for you.
We’ve reviewed some of the best Ebike conversion kits on the market, and while we found the BAFANG BBSHD 1000W Ebike Conversion Kit to be the best, we also found some great contenders to add to our list.
Our top picks
- BAFANG BBSHD 1000W Ebike Conversion Kit
- BAFANG BBSHD 48V 1000W Electric Bicycle Conversion Kit
- EBIKELING Waterproof 48V 1200W Ebike Conversion Kit
- Sandinrayli 26” Rear Wheel 48V 1000W Ebike Conversion Kit
- AW 26″x1.75″ Rear Wheel 48V 1000W Electric Bicycle Motor Kit
- Schuck 36V 48V 500W Front Wheel Electric Bicycle Conversion Kit
What’s the best Ebike conversion kit to buy right now?
There’s a lot to learn about Ebikes, so we recommend that you do plenty of research on Ebike reviews before buying one of these conversion kits for yourself!
To help you out, we’ve split our product reviews into categories that reflect the standout factors of each kit.
1. Best overall Ebike conversion kit – BAFANG BBSHD 1000W Ebike Conversion Kit
We’ve chosen the BAFANG as our top pick overall because it’s just that good.
It delivers an impressive 60 Nm of torque and tops out at 28 mph, making it a viable option for the high-performance commuter who wants to fly over hills with ease.
The kit itself is quite inexpensive compared to other kits while still offering excellent value, even when you factor in shipping costs.
The mid-drive motor kit is compatible with all bikes with a 68-73mm bottom bracket, including fat bikes, mountain bikes, and road bikes. It also comes with an LCD display giving you data on battery power and speed.
Installation is quick and easy, with instructions included.
The BAFANG is a great option for those looking to upgrade their bike and ride with more power.
What we like:
- The price – The BAFANG is less expensive than other premium kits on the market.
- The power – With high torque (60 Nm) and a top speed of 28 mph, this monster can climb any hill with ease!
- Easy installation – Installation is quick, simple, and the package contains fully printed instructions and a link to a video guide.
What we don’t like:
- The noise – The chain drive may rattle a bit while you’re riding due to the increased leverage from the higher speeds this kit can manage. If you’re looking for extreme stealth, this may not be the kit for you.
The BAFANG Ebike kit comes with everything you need – just charge up your battery and go! With over 1000 watts of power, this conversion kit will get you going fast up steep hills or easily get you to work on time!
2. Best premium conversion kit – BAFANG BBSHD 48V 1000W Electric Bicycle Conversion Kit
Our choice for the best premium Ebike conversion kit is the up-gunned 1000W version of the BAFANG BBSHD. This is one of the highest-powered electric bicycle conversion kits on the market. It’s built to last, and comes with everything you need.
The mid-mounted Sinovel Innovation drive system comes with its own built-in sensor system that provides the rider with an added boost of power when needed.
The five-speed power train also has a manual mode, so with a simple twist at the throttle, riders can easily take off and go!
This easy-to-install upgrade kit allows you to mount any regular bike in mere minutes and is compatible with any mountain bike, road bike, or racing bike with a 68-73mm bottom bracket.
The motor is IP65 waterproof and comes with a smart speed sensor that prevents the chain from jumping off when the gears are changed.
What we like:
- The installation – Easy to install and compatible with any bike with a 68-73mm bottom bracket.
- The power- Perfect for long, outdoor rides or short boosts of power to get up difficult hills
- Smart sensors – To help prevent the chain from skipping off during gear changes.
What we don’t like:
- Chain cover issues – The chain cover can sometimes loosen up on bumpy roads (easy fix)
The BAFANG BBSHD 48V 1000W is one of the best and most powerful premium Ebike conversion kits on the market today.
3. Best front and rear conversion kit – EBIKELING Waterproof 48V 1200W Ebike Conversion Kit
While both the BAFANG kits we’ve reviewed are mid-drive models, the EbikeLING is a front and rear conversion kit. This kit is essentially two replacement powered wheels that you simply fit to your bike.
There are certain advantages to front and rear conversion kits, such as better traction, increased safety, and better weight distribution.
The EBIKELING Ebike conversion kit is powered by Dual 1200W motors that provide a very powerful boost. Just what you need to get up those steep hills on your commute home!
This bike has an LCD display for speedometer readouts that are easy to install and read, even in the rain.
While this is a DIY kit, the conversion kit is easy to install. It only takes an hour or so from start to finish, including removing both wheels from the bicycle. The instructions are clear and concise, meaning there isn’t anything too complicated to master.
What we like:
- The power – This is a very powerful conversion kit that’s perfect for getting up steep hills or starting from a dead stop.
- The front and rear model – It has good traction, which makes it easy to use on different types of terrain and conditions.
- Great for hills – The combination of power and torque makes this kit ideal for those who have a few steep hills in their daily commute.
What we don’t like:
- No tires or battery – The system doesn’t come with tires for the wheels or a battery.
Overall, the EBIKELING Ebike conversion kit is a good purchase for anyone looking to get a little more power out of their current bike.
4. Best rear wheel conversion kit – Sandinrayli 26” Rear Wheel 48V 1000W Ebike Conversion Kit
The Sandinrayli Electric Bike Kit stands out from the other Ebike conversion kits because it is one of the few that has a proper twist throttle rather than a button.
A great option for people who want to convert their own bike, this kit comes with everything you need and offers a lot of different options when building your motorized bicycle, although that level of DIY construction means some may find it difficult to install.
The system works well off-road as well as on pavement. It puts out enough power for an enjoyable ride even at top speeds or going up hills, so this would be a good choice if you’re looking to do more than just commute around town.
The dual-mode controller allows the motor to work under the Hall effect and non-Hall effect, which extends the life of the battery, and the supplied break levels cut power to the motor.
What we like:
- Throttle included – The Sandinrayli Electric Bike Kit comes with a rear-wheel motor that has twist throttle built into it, so no more awkward positioning to press the button throttle.
- Hall and non-Hall – It comes with a dual-mode controller that allows it to work in both Hall effect and non-Hall effect modes. This extends the life of your battery but also lowers power when you’re at break levels so you don’t overheat your motor.
What we don’t like:
- The setup – While this kit is of very good quality, there are some difficulties during the installation. Mainly because the directions included are only pictures without any explanation or guidance on how to get started hooking everything together.
- The battery – make sure to pick out a compatible battery before purchase as not all batteries that fit this kit will fit into a bike frame properly.
The Sandinrayli Electric Bike Kit is a powerful kit with many safety features to protect the rider and their bike. It is easy to install with most bikes, just make sure you find a compatible battery.
5. Best powerful motor conversion kit – AW 26″x1.75″ Rear Wheel 48V 1000W Electric Bicycle Motor Kit
The AW 1000W Rear Wheel system stands out on our list as one of the most powerful Ebike conversion kits on the market.
Its high torque motor, easy installation, and safety features make it a fantastic choice for anyone looking to get up hills with ease without spending too much money.
The powerful 1000W rear wheel conversion kit is perfect if you want to go fast and be safe doing so.
It has many safety features like low voltage cut-off protection and pedal assist modes for those who would rather not use throttles or other controls while riding, which might take away from the biking experience itself.
This bike does require some assembly, but after that, it’s smooth sailing as far as getting started goes. The dual controller supports both Hall and non-Hall effects, which helps extend your kit’s life.
The battery pack is also easily removable for convenient storage and charging, although the battery itself isn’t included in the kit.
What we like:
- Punchy – While still a budget purchase compared to many of the other kits on this list, the AW 1000W still packs a powerful punch in terms of quality and performance.
- Ease of use – It’s extremely easy to use due to its simple design with just one throttle control that can be used by either hand.
- Removable battery – The battery pack for this device is easily removable making charging or taking it off your bike simpler than ever before!
What we don’t like:
- Slightly tricky installation – Some people have had issues getting their pedals set up correctly without stripping them out, so be sure to take extra care during installation if you want everything working properly from day one.
The AW Ebike conversion kit is a great choice for those looking to get a pedal-assist system with the latest technology that is rugged and durable.
6. Best budget conversion kit – Schuck 36V 48V 500W Front Wheel Electric Bicycle Conversion Kit
While it is firmly at the budget end of the market, the Schuck 500W Front Wheel Conversion Kit is a great choice if you’re looking to save a little bit of money without compromising on quality.
The kit you get is fairly bare-bones, and there aren’t many useful extras included, but you do get everything you need besides the tires and the battery, which is fairly standard.
Installation is a little tricky, and the manufacturer recommends having it done by a bike shop if you haven’t fitted an Ebike conversion kit before.
One of the benefits of purchasing from Schuck is that they also offer a full range of spares and replacement parts through common sources like Amazon.
What we like:
- Simple installation – This kit is very easy to install and comes with everything that most people need in order for it all to work, which means there’s no fiddling around trying to find things or track down parts.
- Affordable price tag – While not the cheapest Ebike conversion kits out there by any stretch of the imagination, this option does come at an affordable price point that works well as long as you don’t want something too fancy!
What we don’t like:
- Just Hall – No display panel or remote lockout, so you can’t easily monitor your battery level or turn the motor on and off if needed without stopping to mess with your bike.
The Schuck Front Wheel Electric Bicycle Conversion Kit is one of the most affordable Ebike conversion kit options out there, but it’s also pretty basic.
Ebike conversion kit buyer’s guide
A lot of the products we recommend on this site are fairly plug-and-play, but Ebike conversion kits are a little more complicated. Getting the wrong one means it just won’t work and, in the worst-case scenario, might put you in danger.
To make sure that doesn’t happen, we’ve pulled together all the information you need to choose the right Ebike conversion kit for you.
What exactly is an Ebike conversion kit?
Simply put, an Ebike conversion kit is a kit that turns your ordinary bike into a motorized electric bike. The motor and battery commonly replace the front or rear wheel or use a mid-mounted motor with a chain drive.
The kits also include a crankset, and pedals, turning your average bicycle into a high-performance electric vehicle.
There are five main components in most Ebike conversion kits:
- battery with charger
What are the benefits of installing an Ebike conversion kit?
There is a fairly large range of benefits to converting your bike into an electric bike, including:
- Ebikes make it easier and faster to ride up hills, giving you an easier commute.
- You can significantly extend your range by adjusting your throttle position to pedal without the motor engaged or only use the motor for high speeds or difficult grades.
- The Ebike conversion kit is a relatively inexpensive way of getting into using an electric vehicle compared to buying a pre-built electric bike.
- E-bikes offer the convenience of a motorized vehicle without the need to purchase, insure, tax, and maintain an electric car or motorbike.
- Most Ebike conversion kits are environmentally friendly and low impact, as they use the bike’s own power rather than burning through fossil fuels like cars or motorcycles.
- Ebike conversions can be a fun project if you enjoy tinkering with bikes.
What types of Ebike conversion kits are available?
Ebike conversion kits are generally divided up using the power of the motors and where the motor is placed.
In terms of power, Ebike kits normally come with a wattage rating, with 500W, 700W, and 1000W being the most common categories.
When it comes to motor placement, the most common placements are:
- Front-wheel: Front-wheel Ebike kits normally use a front hub motor, which gives you more control over your power delivery.
- Rear-wheel: Rear-wheel kits mount the motor to the rear dropouts. This is the most common place to install Ebike kits and provides better torque.
- Front and rear-wheel: Front and rear-wheel conversion kits generally use a front wheel hub motor and rear dropouts for an additional motor and the battery. These are normally more expensive than single-wheel kits, but since you have two motors, you generally have more power.
- Mid-drive: Mid-drive Ebike systems are becoming increasingly popular because they allow for a more balanced geometry. Mid-drive Ebike kits use the bottom bracket to drive the motor, which is more balanced than front or rear-mounted motors and so has less impact on your cycling experience when not being used.
How do you install an Ebike conversion kit?
How you install your Ebike kit will depend on which kit you have. However, the general steps are as follows:
Rear wheel kit
- Remove your rear wheel and set it to one side.
- You may need to take off your brake calipers, depending on which kit you have.
- Attach the motor onto the chainstay of your bike using zip ties or bolts.
- Use a speed sensor attached to the axle of your back wheel in order for Ebike systems with throttles to work correctly.
There you go! Now that’s done, all that’s left is to install an electronic shifter if one comes as part of the kit.
Front wheel kit
- To install a front wheel kit, you will need to remove your front wheel, along with the axle and spacers.
- You may also have to take off your brake calipers in order for them not to get caught up with the motor axle.
- Attach the Timing Belt around one side of the hub gear spindle. Then attach it onto a cog on either end of the kit’s motor.
- After that, mount another cog over where your old front wheel was located.
- Next, attach an LCD display or electronic shifter if included within your Ebike conversion kit.
- Finally, make sure all bolts are tight before riding!
- When you fit your mid-motor Ebike conversion kit, you’ll need to remove your rear wheel.
- Then, you’ll need to attach the motor axle plate to your dropout. The motor is attached to the bottom bracket, and you’ll need to make sure that the kit you are buying is compatible with the size of your bike’s bottom bracket.
- Once done with that, you can put on the sprocket for this kit’s motor.
- Next is attaching the chain onto your wheel and tensioning it correctly so there’s little or no slack so as not to stress your components while riding.
- Now you can tighten everything up, install the throttle and speed indicators, and you’re good to go.
Front and rear-wheel kits
To install a front and rear wheel bike conversion kit, you will need to make sure that the motor is compatible with your bike’s wheel size. The rims and spokes must also be checked as they may only support a certain amount of weight.
The front-end conversion kit usually has either an axle plate or tube for installation into the fork dropout, and then it comes with its own sprocket, chain, and brake disc which are pre-installed on the front rim itself.
The rear end kit will have a sprocket and a disc for the rear tire. The hub is still attached to your current wheel, but it has a motor mount that will secure the axle of the front-end kit fork dropout.
The actual installation process normally takes about an hour or two, depending on how much work you need to do in order to get rid of all unnecessary parts. Once the wheels are in place tighten everything up, install the throttle and speed indicators, and you’re good to go.
Finding the best electric bike kit for your needs
Finding the best Ebike conversion kit for your needs means that you need to find the kit that will fit your bike frame, your current needs, and your budget.
I can’t stress enough how important it is for users to do their research when planning on buying an Ebike conversion kit in order not to end up with a poor quality product or one that doesn’t meet all of their expectations.
It’s also very important for buyers to choose reputable brands which are known for delivering high-quality products rather than trying out something new from some random company they don’t know anything about.
It’s also hugely important that you measure your bike in advance and check those measurements against the kit you plan to buy to ensure you’re getting the right fit.
Many companies offer excellent returns policies, so if you’re unhappy with what you’ve bought and familiar with Ebikes, it’s well worth getting a kit with a returns policy.
So you’ve got all the information you need to buy the right kit for you, we’ve answered some of the most frequently asked questions on Ebikes:
Are Ebike conversion kits expensive?
Ebike conversion kits can be expensive, but they are usually far cheaper than buying a pre-built electric bike.
Are Ebike conversion kits any good?
The answer to this is going to depend on your needs. Ebiking can be an excellent way to commute, but it’s not for everyone. In terms of sheer mechanical durability, we’d always suggest you buy from a reputable manufacturer with a product warranty.
Is 250 watts enough for an Ebike?
A 250-watt Ebike motor will only propel the bike to around 20 mph at best, which is fine for riding on flat terrain. If you want to go faster, or up steep hills, then it’s worth looking into something more powerful.
How fast does a 1000w Ebike go?
How fast an Ebike will go depends on road conditions, the bike you fitted the kit to, the incline, the road surface, etc. So there isn’t a hard and fast answer.
What we can say for certain is that a 1000 watt Ebike motor will go much faster than a 250-watt one. If you plan to ride your bike regularly or go up steep hills, this is worth considering as an option.
The best Ebike conversion kit
Ebike conversion kits are an affordable option for anyone who wants to convert their existing bike into an electric one. They are relatively easy to fit, the parts can be sourced easily, and they work remarkably well.
After reviewing some of the top conversion kits available, we found the BAFANG BBSHD 1000 Watt kit to be the best of the bunch, due to its good price, great power, and easy installation.
With our guide, you’ll have all the information you need to choose between the different types of Ebike kits out there and our reviews will help you pick the best kits on the market, like the excellent BAFANG BBSHD 1000!