Are you tired of the ever-rising electricity bills? I may have a solution for you. Wind energy is an excellent option that can ensure a significant reduction in your power bills. Let’s explore together the many home wind turbines available for use at home.
13 Best Home Wind Turbines 2019: Generate Electricity at Home
As the world is putting in more and more efforts to change to renewable sources of energy, wind energy is one of the primary targeted sources. With more research advocating for the use of clean energy to preserve the environment, wind energy will play a significant role.
Home wind turbines come in handy for homeowners who are looking to produce power for their homes.
Although a large section of wind farms target to power multiple users such as a community or a town, smaller home wind turbine kits also exist.
These small turbines can be used by individuals to generate electricity for their homes or businesses. Although not as popular as solar power, wind turbines can still provide enough power, especially in areas with strong winds.
For these small home wind turbines, they can be installed anywhere on your property and can help you cover either part or your entire energy needs.
Typically, an average household will require a 5kW home wind turbine to meet all their energy requirements.
Nevertheless, the efficiency of the wind turbine will significantly depend on the strength of the wind in your area.
Here, we are going to look at 13 of the best home wind turbines that can help transform your energy bills.
But before that, lets first define what home wind turbines are.
What is a Home Wind Turbine?
A home wind turbine is a device that is used to convert the kinetic energy from the wind to electricity.
The turbine acts as a generator and produces clean power from wind energy, that is decarbonized or free from emissions.
Things to Consider When Buying a Home Wind Turbine
Before you purchase and install your home wind turbine, there are several essential things that you should consider. Here are a few necessary things that you should determine before the purchase:
How much energy do you need?
Having a clear data on the exact amount of energy your home require is vital. It enables you to know which is the best residential wind turbine to suit your power needs.
The amount of wind in your area
By determining the amount and speeds of the wind around your location, you can quickly know the size and type of the turbine you need. Since different home wind turbines have various power generating capacities, you can decide which is the best for you.
The speed of the wind will determine the turbine to buy, as the start-up wind speeds in different turbines also vary.
Research on current local zoning laws
You should find out any local regulations that may affect or hinder you from installing that turbine.
For instance, in some communities, the installation of wind turbines may be prohibited.
Check the Certification
You should also make sure that the home wind turbine you want to buy is certified. Certification is by the Small Wind Certification Council, which is a body that is tasked with ensuring that manufacturers only bring quality wind turbines in the market.
After undertaking these crucial steps, you can now go ahead and purchase your home wind turbine.
Best Home Wind Turbines to Buy Now
Here is a list of the various home wind turbines that can help you save on electricity and go completely off the grid.
This five stars rated home wind turbine is ideal for residential use and works well in areas with low wind speeds. The product is one of the best home wind turbines available in the market. Using patented turbine blades that come in a twisted aerodynamic design, ensures optimum wind power generation.
The key features of this product include:
- A 1000 Watts wind turbine generator kit.
- Low wind speed demand: It requires low wind speeds to operate and generate vast amounts of energy with minimal noise.
- The complete package of this product contains generators, controllers, blades, bolts, screws, and a nose cone.
- A Permanent magnetic three-phase AC generator.
- Simple installation, and includes a one-year maintenance warranty.
- An advanced microprocessor technology ensures more exceptional performance, as well as high wind protection with no mechanical braking.
- Durable blades that are built to operate with minimal noise and optimal wind energy capture in almost all wind speeds.
- A lightweight design that is simple-to-install, and has an integrated controller used for plug-and-play operation.
- The wind turbine can produce 40 kWh of energy/month and can generate energy in a wide array of wind speeds.
- Pairs with solar PV for redundant energy production year-round.
Another excellent option for a home wind turbine is the GOWE 3KW grid tie wind turbine generator. The generator system comes as a package that includes one 3KW wind turbine, one 3KW grid tie controller, and a 3KW grid tie inverter.
When making your order, you should always indicate your voltage, for instance, 110V/220V, 50HZ/60HZ.
The turbine is mostly built with weather-resistant components while the blades are made of carbon fiber.
Other main features include:
- Raptor carbon fiber blades that can withstand wind speeds of 125 mph, with a lifetime guarantee of non-breakage in normal usage.
- Completely hot metal components dipped galvanized, and zinc plated hub. This ensures there is no rust and eliminates the need to paint or unique coat for 50 years of regular operation.
- The wind turbine includes a permanent magnet generator that has an inbuilt 28 rare earth magnet rotor, and a skewed stator core to facilitate easy turning. It guarantees a max output of 2000 watts.
- The Missouri Freedom II Wind Turbine has a 6mph cut-in speed with NO COGGING!
- Every Freedom PMG rotor has twice the amount of copper that is in any Delco style PMA. The more the amount of copper, the more the power.
- It is offered in two colors, black and grey.
The product is 3.4 stars rated out of 5, and you can buy it on Amazon.
Other features of this wind power kit also include:
- A cohesive automated braking system helps safeguard it from abrupt and high speeds of wind. Also, it offers simple DIY installation procedures inclusive of all materials. The wind turbine can also be used together with solar panels.
- The package also includes a maximum power point tracking, and it is built with a high-grade Polypropylene & Glass Fiber material that has a weather-resistant seal.
- The product consists of protection features like UV protection coating, protection against unexpected wind gust and voltage surge, high wind speeds, and battery overcharging.
- Various specifications such as 1500W rated power rated speed of 46 ft/s, 24V Voltage system, and 5.6mph cut-in wind speed. Also, it offers a 200A battery capacity or more, three blades, 5.6 ft Rotor diameter, and Weight: 33 lb.
- The kit includes one centerpiece (Generator), one Tail Piece, one MPPT Charge Controller, three Blades, 1 Nose cone, Amp meter display box, 1 Manual brake switch, Locking nuts, Spacers, Hex Screws, Hex keys and one operational installation manual.
- One-year warranty from the manufacturer.
Automaxx Windmill 1500W 24V wind turbine is undeniably a great option when searching for the best wind turbine for home use.
The product also includes other multiple features such as:
- System Voltage of 24V
- A warranty period of 2 years and it’s considered the world’s best-selling brand
- Generator: 3phase AC PMG, aluminum material, Working temperature from -40℃ to 80℃
- Special protection: a wind generator rated capacity of 1500W, upward tilting during a storm, and 24V system voltage.
- A Wind Mill Blade is built of plastic and 30% glass fibers. The blade is 107 cm, and noise is 40dB
VEVOR Wind Turbine is a home windmill that comes with numerous features to form a complete wind power kit.
Some unique feature of this product includes:
- NE-1200L wind turbine model with a rated power of 1200 W and Maximum power of 1300 W
- Rated voltage is 48 V with a wind wheel diameter of 2.9 m, and three blades of 55inch in length each.
- An automatic braking system built to shield the system from high and sudden wind speeds.
- An MPPT charge controller and braking system.
- The product is flexible and can be used jointly with solar panels to optimize the power output, even if the wind is at its minimal speed.
- Simple DIY installation procedures provision of all necessary material.
- Inbuilt MPPT in the wind turbine generator.
- It is made of high-grade glass fiber and polypropylene material, as well as weather resistant seal.
Ideal for both urban and rural applications, this wind turbine kit can be bought from Amazon.
As per the manufacturers, the product comes with the following features:
- 5-Blade Wind Generator Kit with a max voltage of 12V
- 500 Watt Max/400 Watt Rated
- Pole not included
- The wind turbine kit consists of a generator, controller, blades, and screws/bolts
- The product is maintenance free
- Offers higher energy production yield even at low wind speeds.
- Low ownership cost (great for starters)
- Can operate at low wind speed with maximum energy utilization, low vibration, attractive appearance;
- A friendly design which is easy to install, maintenance, and repair.
- Start wind speed of 2m/s
- Three aerodynamically tapered blades that produce 400Watt, 12Volt.
- Exact injection binding blades together with the enhanced model of aerodynamic contour. The structure and the blades have various advantages, including high exploitation of wind energy.
- Generators, permanent magnet rotor alternator that has a special stator design to reduce resistance torque efficiently.
- Size: 70cm x 30cm x 25cm (27.56in x 11.81in x 9.84in);
- Weight: 10.0kg (22.05lb.)
- Main parameter -“Model: NE-700M4, max wattage: 720W, Rated Wattage: 700W, rated voltage: dc 24v, rated wind speed: 36. 1 ft/s, starting wind speed: 8. 2 ft/s; safe wind speed: 147. 6 ft/s”
- Engine net weight is 46. 3 lbs; several blades: 3; wind wheel diameter: 6. 07 ft; blade material: nylon fiber; 3 phase AC PMG generator; Electromagnetic braking method; and auto adjusts wind direction.
- Performance -3Phase AC PMG with a permanent, low torque magnet generator and a microprocessor with high-power tracking intelligence.
- Dual-bearing fixed – this makes the fan movement more stable, producing minimum noise and vibration.
The wind turbine is covered using a unique process which makes it resistant to corrosion and oxidation under any weather condition.
- 2pcs of 400W wind turbine inclusive of grid tie controller, and 2pcs of waterproof grid tie inverter.
- Note: For a 22V grid, it is ideal to use a set of at most six inverters while in 110V grid, a set of 4 inverters at most can be used. The inverter package comprises of a microgrid inverter, user manual, single pouch of screws and a Warranty card.
- LED Lamp Indication and operation: Green LED is the operation indicator and flashes at fast, while the red LED is the failure indicator and flashes slowly. The blue LED is the MPPT indicator, which also flashes slowly.
- The number of times the red LED flashes indicates specific failures such as; Single Flashing for undervoltage/overvoltage input while double flashing means power grid under-frequency/over-frequency. Additionally, triple flashing stands for power grid undervoltage/overvoltage, flashing for four times indicates output overcurrent while 5X flashing means input overcurrent.
- Flashing 6 Times indicates high-temperature protection, 7X flashing 7 PWM driving undervoltage/overvoltage while flashing 8 Times shows undervoltage/overvoltage in internal voltage reference. If the red LED flashes for nine times, it shows sensor bias current error, while ten times signifies hardware zero passage failure detection.
Nevertheless, it is good to note that all these operations can only be undertaken if the power grid is connected. GOWE Grid tie 800W is available on Amazon.
With this home wind turbine, you can generate power, both from wind energy as well as solar energy. The product includes two solar panels which can be used to create solar power when the wind is slow, and the sun is optimal.
Each solar panel is 12V, making 24V for both. Although the panels don’t work at night, the system stores the power generated during the day in batteries. Read more about Eco-Worthy solar panels.
Key features include:
- A hybrid controller which is 12v/24v autodetect. To install, you should first connect your battery to the controller, then link the wind turbine and the solar panel with the controller.
- Controller connection: The red wire is positive in all connections; the black cable connects to the battery negative while the green ones connect to the wind turbine. Also, the blue wire, on the other hand, connects with the solar negative while the yellow one connects with the 12V/24V DC devices.
- The system lacks a pole, and therefore you should purchase one. A pole of 4.5m-10m high, 7.4cm – out diameter and 5.3cm – inner diameter is ideal.
- The system is 3.9 stars rated in Amazon by users, where this is possibly the best place to purchase the product.
For those who have been craving for a noiseless home wind turbine, then this is the best wind turbine for you. The 400W hybrid turbine produces minimal vibrations, which in turn reduces the amount of noise.
Its distinctive features include:
- Operational in as low as 2.5m/s start-up wind speeds
- 400W rated wind generator power; rated Voltage of DC27-54V, DC12V Battery Voltage, and three blades.
- 12m/s rated wind speed, or 800r/min(rpm)
- Hybrid system with solar a panel with high light power utilization
- A permanent magnet generator that has a special stator.
- Ideal for homes, green windmill, or businesses.
Conclusion on Home Wind Turbines
Finding a reliable alternative source of power for your home can be a mind-boggling task. I believe this piece on home wind turbines has shed more light on wind energy production as well as the various turbines you can buy.
Which home wind turbine do you think is best for your house? Please let us know in the comments below.