Are you tired of the ever-rising electricity bills? Wind energy is an excellent option that can ensure a significant reduction in your power bills. Let’s explore together the many home wind turbines available for use at home.
For these small home wind generators, they can be installed anywhere on your property and can help you cover either part or your entire energy needs.
We think the best option for most people is the Automaxx Windmill DB-400 400W 12V Wind Turbine Generator Kit.
Here, we are going to look at 13 of the best home wind generators and turbines that can help transform your energy bills.
13 Best Home Wind Turbines Reviewed in 2021
Here is a list of the various home wind turbines that can help you save on electricity and go completely off the grid.
This 400W 12V wind turbine generator kit from Automaxx has been designed for both land a marine use. The automatic braking system protects the system from high wind speeds.
You are also protected against salt water corrosion with a UV protection coating.
The windmill is well packaged and comes with straight forward installation instructions. Components are well built and made from high quality materials including stainless steel bolts and nuts.
It does take a decent gust of wind to get started. Sometimes a gentle breeze will not be enough to start the turbine (although it can keep it spinning once started).
You’ll need to find your own mounting poles, although the instructions do provide enough information so you can find the right gear at a hardware store.
This home wind turbine is ideal for residential use and works well in areas with low wind speeds. The product is one of the best home wind generators available in the market. Using patented turbine blades that come in a twisted aerodynamic design, ensures optimum wind power generation.
The key features of this product include:
- A 1000 Watts wind turbine generator kit.
- Low wind speed demand: It requires low wind speeds to operate and generate vast amounts of energy with minimal noise.
- The complete package of this product contains generators, controllers, blades, bolts, screws, and a nose cone.
- A Permanent magnetic three-phase AC generator.
- Simple installation, and includes a one-year maintenance warranty.
3. Happybuy Wind Turbine Generator 700W DC 24V by Happybuy – Best Budget Choice
This home windmill is a great product that has the following specifications:
- Main parameter -“Model: NE-700M4, max wattage: 720W, Rated Wattage: 700W, rated voltage: dc 24v, rated wind speed: 36. 1 ft/s, starting wind speed: 8. 2 ft/s; safe wind speed: 147. 6 ft/s”
- Engine net weight is 46. 3 lbs; several blades: 3; wind wheel diameter: 6. 07 ft; blade material: nylon fiber; 3 phase AC PMG generator; Electromagnetic braking method; and auto adjusts wind direction.
- Performance -3Phase AC PMG with a permanent, low torque magnet generator and a microprocessor with high-power tracking intelligence.
- Dual-bearing fixed – this makes the fan movement more stable, producing minimum noise and vibration.
The wind turbine is covered using a unique process which makes it resistant to corrosion and oxidation under any weather condition.
The Primus Air 40 Wind Turbine is among the best residential wind turbines for sale in the market, and that offers the following features to suit your energy needs.
- An advanced microprocessor technology ensures more exceptional performance, as well as high wind protection with no mechanical braking.
- Durable blades that are built to operate with minimal noise and optimal wind energy capture in almost all wind speeds.
- A lightweight design that is simple-to-install, and has an integrated controller used for plug-and-play operation.
- The wind generator can produce 40 kWh of energy/month and can generate energy in a wide array of wind speeds.
- Pairs with solar PV for redundant energy production year-round.
If you need to generate a serious amount of power, ths 3KW wind turbine from GOWE is a good option
The generator system comes as a package that includes one 3KW wind turbine, one 3KW grid tie controller, and a 3KW grid tie inverter.
When making your order, you should always indicate your voltage, for instance, 110V/220V, 50HZ/60HZ.
Made in America, Missouri General Freedom 11 Blade Turbine is one of the great choices you can make when purchasing a home windmill.
The turbine is mostly built with weather-resistant components while the blades are made of carbon fiber.
Other main features include:
- Raptor carbon fiber blades that can withstand wind speeds of 125 mph, with a lifetime guarantee of non-breakage in normal usage.
- Completely hot metal components dipped galvanized, and zinc plated hub. This ensures there is no rust and eliminates the need to paint or unique coat for 50 years of regular operation.
- The wind turbine includes a permanent magnet generator that has an inbuilt 28 rare earth magnet rotor, and a skewed stator core to facilitate easy turning. It guarantees a max output of 2000 watts.
- The Missouri Freedom II Wind Turbine has a 6mph cut-in speed with NO COGGING!
- Every Freedom PMG rotor has twice the amount of copper that is in any Delco style PMA. The more the amount of copper, the more the power.
- It is offered in two colors, black and grey.
The product is 3.4 stars rated out of 5, and you can buy it on Amazon.
The complete package of Automaxx Windmill 1500W 24V comes with an MPPT charge controller, manual and automatic braking system as well as an Amp meter.
Other features of this wind power kit also include:
- A cohesive automated braking system helps safeguard it from abrupt and high speeds of wind. Also, it offers simple DIY installation procedures inclusive of all materials. The windmill can also be used together with solar panels.
- The package also includes a maximum power point tracking, and it is built with a high-grade Polypropylene & Glass Fiber material that has a weather-resistant seal.
- The product consists of protection features like UV protection coating, protection against unexpected wind gust and voltage surge, high wind speeds, and battery overcharging.
- Various specifications such as 1500W rated power rated speed of 46 ft/s, 24V Voltage system, and 5.6mph cut-in wind speed. Also, it offers a 200A battery capacity or more, three blades, 5.6 ft Rotor diameter, and Weight: 33 lb.
- The kit includes one centerpiece (Generator), one Tail Piece, one MPPT Charge Controller, three Blades, 1 Nose cone, Amp meter display box, 1 Manual brake switch, Locking nuts, Spacers, Hex Screws, Hex keys and one operational installation manual.
- One-year warranty from the manufacturer.
Automaxx Windmill 1500W 24V is undeniably a great option when searching for the best wind turbine for home use.
The main components of the home wind turbine kit include a wind generator and a Hybrid Charger Controller.
The product also includes other multiple features such as:
- System Voltage of 24V
- A warranty period of 2 years and it’s considered the world’s best-selling brand
- Generator: 3phase AC PMG, aluminum material, Working temperature from -40℃ to 80℃
- Special protection: a wind generator rated capacity of 1500W, upward tilting during a storm, and 24V system voltage.
- A Wind Mill Blade is built of plastic and 30% glass fibers. The blade is 107 cm, and noise is 40dB
Whether it’s on the strong or mild wind, this is a right wind turbine for you. It is a well-built home windmill that will give you superior performance due to its cutting-edge features.
As per the manufacturers, the product comes with the following features:
- 5-Blade Wind Generator Kit with a max voltage of 12V
- 500 Watt Max/400 Watt Rated
- Pole not included
- The wind turbine kit consists of a generator, controller, blades, and screws/bolts
- The product is maintenance free
- Offers higher energy production yield even at low wind speeds.
- Low ownership cost (great for starters)
The 400W economy windmill qualifies to be among the best home wind turbine kits, due to its extensive features. This product is ideal for a hybrid wind and solar system, and includes the following:
- Can operate at low wind speed with maximum energy utilization, low vibration, attractive appearance;
- A friendly design which is easy to install, maintenance, and repair.
- Start wind speed of 2m/s
- Three aerodynamically tapered blades that produce 400Watt, 12Volt.
- Exact injection binding blades together with the enhanced model of aerodynamic contour. The structure and the blades have various advantages, including high exploitation of wind energy.
- Generators, permanent magnet rotor alternator that has a special stator design to reduce resistance torque efficiently.
- Size: 70cm x 30cm x 25cm (27.56in x 11.81in x 9.84in);
- Weight: 10.0kg (22.05lb.)
This fantastic product comes as a complete package consisting of:
- 2pcs of 400W wind turbine inclusive of grid tie controller, and 2pcs of waterproof grid tie inverter.
- Note: For a 22V grid, it is ideal to use a set of at most six inverters while in 110V grid, a set of 4 inverters at most can be used. The inverter package comprises of a microgrid inverter, user manual, single pouch of screws and a Warranty card.
- LED Lamp Indication and operation: Green LED is the operation indicator and flashes at fast, while the red LED is the failure indicator and flashes slowly. The blue LED is the MPPT indicator, which also flashes slowly.
- The number of times the red LED flashes indicates specific failures such as; Single Flashing for undervoltage/overvoltage input while double flashing means power grid under-frequency/over-frequency. Additionally, triple flashing stands for power grid undervoltage/overvoltage, flashing for four times indicates output overcurrent while 5X flashing means input overcurrent.
- Flashing 6 Times indicates high-temperature protection, 7X flashing 7 PWM driving undervoltage/overvoltage while flashing 8 Times shows undervoltage/overvoltage in internal voltage reference. If the red LED flashes for nine times, it shows sensor bias current error, while ten times signifies hardware zero passage failure detection.
Nevertheless, it is good to note that all these operations can only be undertaken if the power grid is connected. GOWE Grid tie 800W is available on Amazon.
With this home wind turbine, you can generate power, both from wind energy as well as solar energy. The product includes two solar panels which can be used to create solar power when the wind is slow, and the sun is optimal.
Each solar panel is 12V, making 24V for both. Although the panels don’t work at night, the system stores the power generated during the day in batteries. Read more about Eco-Worthy solar panels.
Key features include:
- A hybrid controller which is 12v/24v autodetect. To install, you should first connect your battery to the controller, then link the wind turbine and the solar panel with the controller.
- Controller connection: The red wire is positive in all connections; the black cable connects to the battery negative while the green ones connect to the wind turbine. Also, the blue wire, on the other hand, connects with the solar negative while the yellow one connects with the 12V/24V DC devices.
- The system lacks a pole, and therefore you should purchase one. A pole of 4.5m-10m high, 7.4cm – out diameter and 5.3cm – inner diameter is ideal.
- The system is 3.9 stars rated in Amazon by users, where this is possibly the best place to purchase the product.
For those who have been craving for a noiseless home wind turbine, then this is the best wind turbine for you. The 400W hybrid turbine produces minimal vibrations, which in turn reduces the amount of noise.
Its distinctive features include:
- Operational in as low as 2.5m/s start-up wind speeds
- 400W rated wind generator power; rated Voltage of DC27-54V, DC12V Battery Voltage, and three blades.
- 12m/s rated wind speed, or 800r/min(rpm)
- Hybrid system with solar a panel with high light power utilization
- A permanent magnet generator that has a special stator.
- Ideal for homes, green windmill, or businesses.
13. ECO-WORTHY 400 Watt Wind Turbine Generator with 12V/24V 20A Hybrid Charge Controller – Best Overall
Whether you want to save money and live a more sustainable life, or you need to power your off-grid cabin, or boat the Eco-Worthy 400 Watt Wind Turbine is an excellent option.
The blades are made from carbon fibre composite, and have a maximum wind speed of 78mph with a rated wind speed of 23.5mph.
The manufacturer recommends using lead-acid or gel batteries with this turbine between 200-400ah.
- Rated Power: 400w
- Rated Voltage:DC12-24V
- Start-up Wind Speed: 5.6mph (2.5m/s)
- Rated Rotate Speed: 800r/min
- Battery capacity: 200AH-400AH
20A Controller specifications:
- Rated Battery Voltage: DC 12V/24V
Rated Wind Generator Capacity: 400W/800W
Rated Solar Power : 500W/1000W
Blake Protect: Battery full or wind more than 78.3 mph
Max Discharging Current: 20A
What we like:
- The controller will automatically stop the turbine to protect your battery bank from overcharging
You can buy the standalone 400W wind turbine, or get it packaged with either 100W, 120W or 195W solar panel for a more complete setup.
You’ll also need to buy a pole and a cord to connect the controller to your battery pack.
What is a Home Wind Turbine?
As the world is putting in more and more efforts to change to renewable sources of energy, wind energy is one of the primary targeted sources. With more research advocating for the use of clean energy to preserve the environment, wind energy will play a significant role.
Home wind energy can come in handy for homeowners who are looking to produce power for their homes and live more of an off-grid lifestyle.
Although a large section of wind farms target to power multiple users such as a community or a town, smaller home wind turbine kits also exist.
These small turbines can be used by individuals to generate electricity for their homes, cabins or businesses. Some can also be used for marine perposes. Although not as popular as solar power, wind energy can still provide enough power, especially in areas with strong winds.
Typically, an average household will require a 5kW home wind turbine to meet all their energy requirements.
Nevertheless, the efficiency of the wind turbine will significantly depend on the strength of the wind in your area.
A home wind turbine is a device that is used to convert the kinetic energy from the wind to electricity.
The turbine acts as a generator and produces clean power from wind energy, that is decarbonized or free from emissions.
A home wind turbine can be a great addition to your existing solar setup, allowing you to continue to generate some power during the night.
Things to Consider When Buying a Home Wind Turbine
Before you purchase and install your home wind turbine, there are several essential things that you should consider. Here are a few necessary things that you should determine before the purchase:
How much energy do you need?
Having a clear data on the exact amount of energy your home require is vital. It enables you to know which is the best residential wind turbine to suit your power needs.
The amount of wind in your area
By determining the amount and speeds of the wind around your location, you can quickly know the size and type of the turbine you need. Since different home wind turbines have various power generating capacities, you can decide which is the best for you.
The speed of the wind will determine the turbine to buy, as the start-up wind speeds in different turbines also vary.
Research on current local zoning laws
You should find out any local regulations that may affect or hinder you from installing that turbine.
For instance, in some communities, the installation of wind turbines may be prohibited.
Check the Certification
You should also make sure that the home wind turbine you want to buy is certified. Certification is by the Small Wind Certification Council, which is a body that is tasked with ensuring that manufacturers only bring quality wind turbines in the market.
After undertaking these crucial steps, you can now go ahead and purchase your home wind turbine.
Conclusion on Using Home Wind Energy
Finding a reliable alternative source of power for your home can be a mind-boggling task. I believe this piece on home wind turbines has shed more light on wind energy production as well as the various turbines you can buy.
For most people we recommend the ECO-WORTHY 400 Watt Wind Turbine Generator with 12V/24V 20A Hybrid Charge Controller.
Before you buy, you can also determine how many turbines you need with our wind turbine calculator.
Which home wind turbine do you think is best for your house? Please let us know in the comments below.