It is a ton of fun to decorate the entire house with beautiful Christmas lights. But do you know how much electricity do ordinary Christmas lights consume?
According to a report, the United States alone spends around 6.6 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity consumption on just Christmas lights.
In this post, we have put together the best solar-powered Christmas lights that you can consider buying this Christmas.
Love decorating outdoor space? Check out our reviews of the best garden windmills, handing solar lights and solar rope lights that can be a fantastic addition to your backyard.
Best solar Christmas lights to buy
Not all solar-powered lights can be used in harsh weather like heavy rain and snow. Most solar-based lights need at least 10 to 12 hours of sunlight to work correctly.
Fortunately, there are some models which are excellent even in less bright places as they can store a lot of sunlight. However, such lights are very limited. Some good options are listed below.
1. LED Solar Icicle String Lights
Manufactured by Supsso, these solar-powered icicle string lights look classic and are a popular choice for Christmas lighting or any outdoor decoration.
These string light sets are composed of short strings of mini bulbs that mimic natural icicles.
There are many ways you can use these lights. For instance, you can hang them along the perimeter of the rooftop or create a homemade hanging chandelier.
- Eco-friendly: These icicle string lights are purely solar-powered, therefore causing no harm to the environment. They automatically switch on and off at night and day time, respectively.
- Water Resistant: These lights can withstand severe weather, including snow and heavy rain. Thus, they are ideal for both indoor and outdoor.
- Easy to Install & Operate: It has one button for power controlling and another one for controlling its eight modes. Moreover, its low voltage makes it safe to use around a family with kids.
- Memory Function: What makes it unique from other lights available in the market is, it has a built-in memory chip that saves your last modes setting, which means you don’t need to reset mode every single day.
2. Solar Outdoor String Lights by GDEALER
GDEALER is a reputable name in the solar lighting industry. This time they came with these fantastic solar string lights.
If you want to turn your Christmas tree into a masterpiece, you must get these solar outdoor Christmas lights. Just put these lights, and your tree is ready to welcome the Santa.
These string lights come with a rechargeable battery that charges during the day and lights up automatically in the dark.
What makes these lights unique from others is that its battery gets charged easily even if it is cold outside. Moreover, these string lights have solar panels that you can easily adjust according to the sun’s direction. Thus they absorb as much light as possible.
- Water Resistant: You can use them for both indoor and outdoor decoration.
- Eco-friendly: They have a built-in rechargeable battery that takes energy from sunlight and does not cause any harm to the environment.
- Adjustable solar panel: These lights are designed to absorb maximum sunlight; therefore, they work best in winter as well.
3. GDEALER Waterproof Solar Outdoor String Lights 30 LED
These are another great Christmas lights form GDEALER. If you want to add a touch of whimsy to your house this Christmas, invest in these beautiful solar outdoor lights. They are designed to withstand all types of climate and weather conditions.
These lights have a long string of lights that can easily illuminate sizeable outdoor areas like patio, garden, yard, and your Christmas tree. Once they are fully charged, they can work 8 to 10 hours.
Made of plastic, the total length of the string is 6m (around 20-feet) with 30 LEDs. They take approximately 10 to 12 hours to be fully charged and can smoothly go for 8 to 10 hours in one charge.
- Fairy Lighting: GDealer solar lights give a fairy effect when used outdoors.
- Automatic: The lights are designed to perform automatically. You do not need to turn these lights on and off manually as they have a sensor.
- User-Friendly: Using these lights are super easy. They have two lighting modes: Flashing and Steady – you can choose whichever you like. They have one primary switch for the power on and off.
4. Ankway Solar String Christmas Lights
Ankway solar-powered Christmas lights are an ideal way to light up any indoor or outdoor space without damaging the environment.
These lights set has super bright LED bulbs hanging on copper wire that can easily adjust to any shape. You can use them to decorate your garden, patio, and Christmas tree. These string lights come with 12 months warranty for extra peace of mind.
- High Efficiency: These lights are highly efficient – they can work up to 12 hours when fully charged. They also have an auto sensor that automatically turns on and off the lights.
- Durability: Ankway solar string lights have bendable break-free copper wire. This unique quality makes these lights easy to hang whichever way you want. In other words, with them, you can use your creativity to light up your space.
- Simple to Install and Use: This solar fairy light has eight different light modes: Fading, fading slowly, fireflies flashing, steady flashing, twinkle, combination, waves, and chasing.
5. Qedertek LED Solar Christmas Lights
Qedertek LED solar Christmas lights are designed for both indoor and outdoor spaces. What makes these lights more appealing is that their bright red color gives your space a festive flair.
Powered by built-in rechargeable NI-MH batteries, these lights are capable enough to light up even open spaces. It has 200 bright red LEDs.
- Waterproof: Qedertek Solar lights are waterproof (IP 65) and can withstand all kinds of weather, including heavy snow and rain.
- 6.5 Feet Lead Cable: These lights come with 6.5 feet long lead cable, which means you can comfortably hang them on your garden, patio, lawn, and gate.
- Long Working Time: These lights have a solar panel that converts sunlight into electricity during the day and lights up these lights for 8 to 10 hours during the dark. Its solar panel comes with garden stakes making it easy to mount on the place where it can receive maximum sunlight.
- Easy to use: Using these lights are exceptionally easy. It has two switches – one for On/Off and another for changing Modes.
6. Solar String Lights with 8 Light Effects Multicolor
If you’re in search of solar-powered lights which last a long time, go for these lights. They have an 80% larger solar panel in comparison to an ordinary solar panel that means it produces more power.
These solar lights form PMS comes with 500 small multicolor solar strings with 8 different lighting effects. Unlike most solar lights, these string lights have a Micro USB charging port, an ideal solution for use under weather conditions like extreme cold or wet.
- Waterproof: The LED bulbs and solar panel of these lights are tested for different weather conditions and temperatures. These lights are IP44 waterproof, which means they can withstand heavy rain as well as snow.
- Easy to Use: If you’re looking for user-friendly solar lights, these are ideal choices. It has three buttons, two for ON/OFF, one of Mode.
- Long Working Time: These lights are powered by 18650 lithium-ion battery that ensures long working hours
7. Lemontec Solar String Lights
Want to get the attention of appreciators this Christmas? If yes, place an order for the fantastic solar string lights from Lemontec.
These beautiful Christmas solar lights are in the shape of the water drop, making them an ideal choice for a wide array of the momentous occasion.
Lemontech solar string lights are quite user-friendly that anyone can operate these lights without needing to have any professional help.
It has only two switches – one for on/off button and another bi-mode button. This festive season, these lights are surely going to bring a cheerful feel to your home.
- Eco-Friendly: Since these lights run on solar energy, they are entirely eco-friendly. These lights charge during the day and illuminate your space during the dark.
- Waterproof: These lights are completely waterproof, designed to endure rain and snow. It means you need not remove the lights when it rains outside.
- Low Maintenance Cost: In comparison to ordinary lights, these lights require quite low maintenance. Their entire unit that includes solar panel LED lights and mounting spike, causing no harm to the environment and is easy to maintain.
See related as you can buy these solar-powered toys for your holiday celebrations.
How do solar-powered Christmas lights work
Solar-powered Christmas lights work by converting sun energy into electricity to power the illumination of the light bulbs. This is how solar energy works in general.
These solar Christmas lights have a battery that takes energy from sunlight during the day with the help of a solar cell. And at night, this energy is released to arouse the light.
In short, these lights functions due to three basic parts i.e., the solar panel, the battery, the LED bulbs.
Why Solar Christmas Lights are a Better Option
Here are some several pros of using solar string lighting over alternative options.
- Solar lights are an eco-friendly way of decorating your house this festive season. After all, they do not result in any polluting emissions such as nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide. Moreover, since these lights don’t need electricity to run, you can save a lot on energy bills during this Christmas. It is going to be your best Christmas gift ever.
- Solar-powered lights look exceptionally pleasant. They will make your house, lawn and yard look like they are covered in eye-pleasing icicles.
- These lights are safe to use. Unlike other lights, they do not require any dangerous extension cords running across your house.
- Solar Christmas lights last for longer, around ten times more than incandescent lights, as they don’t contain filaments that cause bulbs to break easily.
- You can easily install them anywhere, even inside your house. Maintaining them is super easy. Just take them down and store them at room temperature in a dry location. It would be great if you can place them where they can receive some sunlight each day as their battery requires some sunlight (at least indirect) to maintain a charge.
Whether you choose to purchase solar or regular lights, it’s important to know to dispose of them properly. If you are ready to get rid of yours already, check our guide on how to recycle Christmas lights.
How much light will you get
Commercial solar Christmas lights are available in different sizes and shapes. How much light will you get out of these solar lights will entirely depend on which model you choose.
Different solar-powered Christmas lights give different amounts of light. Some models give lower-quality light and don’t retain battery power for more than a day.
Such solar lights often need more sunlight to work correctly. While some solar lights work best even if the weather is gloomy outside. Therefore, you must make the right choice when buying these lights.
Wondering where to buy solar-powered Christmas light?
Don’t worry; we have made it easy for you. Check out some of the best solar Christmas lights available in the market below.
See Related: Solar Panel Carport Overview
Conclusion on solar Christmas lights
There is no dearth of environment-friendly solar Christmas lights in the market that are ideal for you and your family. However, it is also true that not all lights come with the same quality.
Therefore, you need to make your choice wisely.
In this post, we listed some of the popular solar-powered Christmas lights, which are not only ecologically pure but also easy on the pocket.
We hope our post helps you shop Christmas lights that work for you. Are you ready to have an eco-friendly Christmas? Let us know in the comments below.